Kitchen monoblok taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Mum phoned me last night to say her cold water tap wasn't working in her kitchen. Went this morning, all other taps in house were fine so stripped the tap down and the only way I could get the tap to work was to loosen the valve nut inside the tap. This did the trick but when you turn on the water some leaks out of the tap base. Could the problem be that we need a new valve. When I tighten the valve up with the spanner to where I presume it should be, that is tight and replace the tap knob, no water comes out and it doesn't seem to be catching so really stiff and no water. Please help I'm just a woman!

Sponsored Links
Firstly I presume you dont have the 'quarter turn' type monobloc taps? Assuming you do have conventional type tap with washers, then may be possible to effect a repair.

Isolate water supplies, and remove body of affected tap. At the top, under the splines where the head attaches there should be a circlip. Carefully remove this, (they can fly off across the room never to be seen again....), then the inner section should, if you tap it gently, come out. Lubricate this and the thread where it winds in/out to operate the flow of water, then reassemble. Replace circlip, refit to body of tap. Restore water supply and test tap operation.

If this doesnt solve the problem then you may require a new tap.....

You'll hardly ever need a new tap if they're not quarter-turn type. Google Tap Revivers and you'll get eg this

That's new tap tops and all the brass gubbins inside.
You can get them in the DIY sheds though they'll cost a bit more, like £10 - £25 a pair, depending on the head style.

Sometimes you'll need to "reseat the tap", which means scrape the washer-seat flat, with a £10 tool.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back