Kitchen Pipe Leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to all.
New person here, have no experience with pipe work/plumbing in general but like to think I am a quick learner and I'm looking for some advice if anybody could please help me.

Please see my pictures, the first is where the leak is (there is another view of this in the third picture) - directly above the copper pipe, this seems to be led off what looks like a waste pipe into the ground. The waste pipe is coming off the 'U' pipe directly underneath the sink, this can be seen in the second picture. Bottom right outlets is to the washing machine, top right is the overflow pipe for the back of the sink.

The leak itself is coming from the top left of the 'C' fitting coming off the waste pipe. It will fill about 150ml of a measuring jug every week or so, so I don't think there is much water coming through the pipe.

The help I need is first to ascertain what the pipe is there for/its purpose and from there maybe a bit of advice in a fix.
I did try to take it apart last night but it is very tight which leads me to believe there's some sort of sealant keeping it intact even though there's a leak.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Luke. View media item 49827 View media item 49828 View media item 49829

Sponsored Links
Would you have a condensing combi/system boiler in the kitchen by any chance?

There are certainly some odd angles there. My 5 year old granddaughter could do no worse.

Sponsored Links
Its possibly your condensate pipe from your boiler, you would need trace it back as best you can to determine this. If it is your condensate it must terminate into a waste or gully. The only real safe way to repair this is to renew the plastic pipe and fittings. Personally i wouldn't try to seal around it, i would take it out and replace it with plastic overflow pipe and solvent weld elbows.

cheers

Its possibly your condensate pipe from your boiler, you would need trace it back as best you can to determine this. If it is your condensate it must terminate into a waste or gully. The only real safe way to repair this is to renew the plastic pipe and fittings. Personally i wouldn't try to seal around it, i would take it out and replace it with plastic overflow pipe and solvent weld elbows.

cheers

cheers

Having traced it, it definitely doesn't come from the boiler. It basically feeds off the main 'U' pipework under the sink. From that, you have the washing machine coming in, the overflow pipe from the back of the sink, both to the right. Then on the left you have the main waste pipe, and then sitting just off this is this pipe with the leak.
There isn't an awful lot coming through it, and what is leaking is clear and odourless so i'm struggling to determine what exactly the pipe is there for.

It does look like its going out the back wall out of the house into the rear garden which i think i missed off the previous details. I'll try and see tonight for definite where it goes to.

It looks like its going behind the kitchen unit and a clear small amount of liquid is usually synonymous with a condensate pipe. Have a look at the pipework leaving your boiler and see if there is the same pipe leaving the boiler.

i would almost put money on it, but just almost

It looks like its going behind the kitchen unit and a clear small amount of liquid is usually synonymous with a condensate pipe. Have a look at the pipework leaving your boiler and see if there is the same pipe leaving the boiler.

Ahh okay, i'll check that later when I get back from work and report back.

Cheers for all your help so far.

View media item 49855 View media item 49856 View media item 49857
Please see above, having wrapped some paper towels around the pipe overnight there are two leaks coming from it as highlighted by the red circles.

The other two pictures are of the boiler and the kitchen layout (boiler above fish tank on worktop, leak directly under sink). I cannot see any pipework directly going from the boiler behind the worktops to the kitchen sink pipework.

Any ideas?

I would try to avoid silicone if possible, the pipe would need to be super dry to allow the silicone to seal and you wouldn't actually be sealing the pipe, just putting a shroud around the pipe. Plus if it still leaks it will be a nightmare to try and repair at a later date with dried rubber silicon all over the pipe.
It would be best to cut the plastic pipework away and replace the elbows and pipe using a solvent weld glue.

Do you have a water softener? could be discharge from that... i would also replace the fittings if you are insistant on trying to seal with sealant use a water proof setting one like plumbers gold it should be able to handle this if its a small amount of water

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back