Kitchen plaster mess.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am 'doing up' our 1970's kitchen, having removed old cupboards and wall tiles I am left with a hotch potch of wall plaster. I also removed an unwanted floor to ceiling brick wall which has also left the ceiling finish with marks where the wall was. Where the tiles were removed its left some old adhesive, and there are a couple of large cracks in the wall.

I would like a good plaster finish before installing new cupboards, which would be the best course of action in dealing with this problem please.

Sponsored Links
Remove the old tile adhesive from the walls as it’s more difficult to skim over bits of adhesive sticking out from the old finish. Don’t worry too much about small gouges & digs but if bits of the existing finish come off these will need to be rough filled. For the bad cracks, it’s likely the mortar joints or event the blocks themselves are cracked beneath & this will have to be repaired/reinforced before re-skimming or the cracks will just reappear. Once this had been done & the repairs levelled with the existing wall, you can get the walls & ceiling re-skimmed. I wouldn’t attempt to do this yourself if you’ve not done it before as you are unlikely to get the ‘good plaster’ finish you’re looking for. Get several quotes from local plasterers but make sure you select one with a recommendation on the quality of their work or ask to see some. Alternatively, you could call in a small local builder/handyman to do the cracks & prep for plaster or you may even find a plasterer prepared to do the lot.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Richard, at least I now know what to ask or understand what is needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back