Kitchen sink cleaning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this isn't the correct place for this topic. I have recently been painting and decorating and have been using the kitchen sink to clean paint brushes, tools, etc. The problem is I think I've stained the surface by doing so. I think this is a ceramic sink. See pic below:

photo_2023-02-09_22-22-56.jpg

I have tried cleaning it with white spirit, washing up liquid, everything, but it still ends up like this once it's dried.

Does anyone have any idea how I can remove these stains and restore the original colour of the sink?

Sponsored Links
Percarbonate and boiling water might work. It certainly cleans ceramic coffee mugs!

TBH it looks more lika a composite (plastic) sink to me - ceramic sinks tend to have more rounded edges. Possibly the way to ascertain if it is ceramic is to look underneath - ceramic sinks are often supported on a frame and are siliconed in place, composite sinks can be siliconed-in or be secured by clips.

In the case of composite sinks you may need to consider using micro abrasives to repolish the affected surfaces

Last edited by a moderator:
Dark colour sinks shows Limescale more than white ,wipe round with white vinegar will ensure you remove any Limescale and make paint staining clearer , what type if paint did you use .

Sponsored Links
I use green nylon pan scourers.

There is a white version that is softer and less likely to affect the shine on glass or plastic.

White vinegar and water 50/50.
Other option is to buy the correct cleaner.
Some sinks have just gone past where that can be brought back. Bleach just degrades the surface but I've seen that used causing damage

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back