Kitchen spotlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help. When we moved into our house it was full of high watt spotlights. I have systematically changed these for GU10 LED bulbs. Across the house I have removed the transformers for individual 12V bulbs and replaced with mains voltage GU10 light holders. When i did this in the kitchen i found that the new LED bulbs would be constantly on even if the light switch was off. To resolve this i left one high watt halogen spotlight in and changed the others to LED GU10 bulbs and it all seemed to work normally. Sadly 2 years on suddenly all the bulbs have dimmed drastically and the halogen spotlight is just glowing a very dark orange at a very very low light. Now before i got an electrician out i thought i better do some investigating and i found a massive box and some additional dimmer boxes?? behind one of the kitchen units (see the photos). My question is what is this? Is this impacting the lights in the kitchen as it is preventing them being on mains power like all the rest of the lighting in my house. Does this just need to be removed?

I appreciate as this is in the kitchen and electrics i'm not suggesting i start rewiring but just wanted to have some idea for when i get someone out. Many thanks for anyone who can help

Attachments

• IMG_3043.jpg
    IMG_3043.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_3044.jpg
    IMG_3044.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_3046.jpg
    IMG_3046.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_3047.jpg
    IMG_3047.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_3045.jpg
    IMG_3045.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 282
Sponsored Links
img_3043-jpg.195579
That is a toroidal transformer, normally they look like this
TLT200SLASH4.JPG
but basic same thing, with these there is no need to swap 12 volt to 230 volt they will power 12 volt G5.3 LED spot lights without a problem, however that should not cause the lights to dim, they will not work with a dimming switch, the inrush is too much.

If i have replaced already the 12volt holders and transformers for individual spotlights and replaced with 230v gu10 bulbs (which from the sounds like might not have been the best thing) is the transformer required anymore?

More investigation required. Mains lamps would not work at all on 12v, I doubt if a halogen would even glow dimly. You need to find out where that big transformer is connected to and also what is the white box GR1000 hanging from it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your responses. Could it be anything to do with outside lights as there are some outside lights which it looks might start from close to the box?

That is a 400va transformer which is the way someone mat have installed 12 x 50 or more if 35w watt halogens , to run off one transformer, later the main way would be to have used individual transformers. Are you sure you have this actually connected ?.

A total guess is that it is it may not be, it was probably replaced at some stage with the individual ones you have decommissioned and replaced with GU10 holders, it is also a guess you have them on a dimmer switch. If this is anywhere near correct could explain your problem.

Please confirm more details

Hi i can hear humming from it so i was presuming it was still connected. I think it might be time to get an expert in to have a look. thanks for all your ideas

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back