Kitchen Tap Dripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey All,

Good weekend I hope.

I've been having this tap dripping for about a week now and intend on doing something about it .....

Firstly, are the washers or seals or what ever you call them, unique to the type of tap or are they pretty generic.

My taps look like this:

(Excuse the dirty - huge party @ my house last night ... still need to clean)

How do you remove the taps off that?

I know I would need to turn off the water before trying to figure out how to remove the taps, but by water source looks like this:

I am used to the handle design, so not sure what to do with those screws, I keep turning but it just turns, never stops .... is there something i am missing?

Thanks
Rob

Sponsored Links
Hi

How are you fellas?

Thanks for not inviting us to the party! I think we should all boycott this post until you send us some party food!

Nah seriuosly, its pretty straightforward.

Firstly, turn the screw on the isolation valve to the horizontal position, that turns the water off. dont keep turning it though, its not that type of screw! Then open both taps to drain any remaining water.

Next, get a small flat head screwdriver, and prise it under the top of the tap handle. Basically try and get it between the blue or red trim, and the cap. It will lift off.

Then you will see a brass type section. You'll notice a hexagonal nut type shape. You need to get your spanner onto that and turn it anti-clockwise to remove it. This MAY give you problems as scale can sometimes glue it tight. Try some WD-40 if it wont budge.

If you manage to eventually get it off, unscrew the spindle mechanism and you'll see the washer attached to the botton of it. It may simply be pushed on, or screwed on. Remove that, take it to a DIY or plumbers merchant, get an exact duplicate, fit it together, put it all back on and walaaa! Bobs your uncle.....

Good luck....and if feeling generous, i'll have a curry and naan thanks!

Hey man,

Sorry that you didn't get you invite in the post ... lets blame the Royal Mail for that one ...

But thanks for your help so far ... so I managed to stop the water (horozontal screw position did the trick) thanks for that.

Managed to get the tap off, as intructed and there was a screw to take the tap off.

Now left with this ....

Is this where you suggest the spanner (dammm it's tight to screw off) - what is WD-40 - some form of lubricant?

Yes, I could have enjoyed the party too and you could have sent the invite by email.

You need to open the tap and that can be difficult. Tapping the spanner with a hammer might help as might pouring boiling water over it.

Tony

Sponsored Links
ah yes, you see the bit where it "sits" on the tap, just above it you'll a nut type shape. Get your spanner on that, it will be tight, put some effort in you big fairy. If that dont get it off, then you may need wd-40. Its a form of lubricant. Spray it on and leave it for 30 mins, and try again.

Hey guys,

Emmmmm don't have WD-40 ... might get some, but tried another lubricant I have for my mountain bikes, didn't do the trick.

Tried boiling water ... that didn't work either, took the spanner and hammer to it .... ummmm scared I might rip the entire tap out the socket ....

Guess calling the plumber to do the job is the only route I have .... :cry:

You should try the boiling water AND the hammer on the spanner.

I do not recommend the WD40 as it does not get onto the thread and worse lubricated the nut head and causes the spanner to slip!

If I was a plumber, I would not want to come to you after you had failed as there is little more that can be done if you have followed that advice. You may need to replace the taps!

Tony

Hey there,

Ermmmmm okay, well I'll keep adding the hot water and see how I come along, maybe it needs some time to work it's way through or something ....

No you need to pour a full kettle slowly over it and immediately start tapping the spanner which neds to be a 12" adjustible or similar.

Multiple short taps are better than single harder ones.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back