Kitchen tiles around sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having beveled metro tiles in the kitchen and I am a bit concerned of the gaps the bevel create around electrical sockets.

Can I use a spacer like the one attached and then having the socket raised up.
So I grout around the spacer and then the sockets are firmly in place all around using longer screws.

I will experiment with different height spacers of course to make sure the socket is just above the tile surface and not sticking too much out. I think Shneider are doing one slightly shorter.

61V0C-cR8+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Sponsored Links
The electrician should've fitted the boxes calculating 5mm proud of the finishing plaster.
Then the tiles would've been cut around the boxes.
Anyway, fill the gaps with grout.
Tiles and grout don't create any problem with electricity.

Can I use a spacer like the one attached and then having the socket raised up.
So I grout around the spacer and then the sockets are firmly in place all around using longer screws.

You could, but I suspect you will still have gaps, so no advantage gained. Why not put the sockets flat to the tiles and fill any gaps with white silicon?

You could, but I suspect you will still have gaps, so no advantage gained. Why not put the sockets flat to the tiles and fill any gaps with white silicon?

To be fair, one advantage of doing it his way is that the face plate can be removed with out needing to cut through any silicone or grout. Not sure how odd it will look though.

Sponsored Links
To be fair, one advantage of doing it his way is that the face plate can be removed with out needing to cut through any silicone or grout. Not sure how odd it will look though.

I would suggest quite odd, neither sunk nor quite surface sockets..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back