Kitchen unit carcasses: why buy new ones?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm refurbing my kitchen. Not wanting to spend a fortune. No redesign, just new worktops & units.
Question: Are base unit & wall unit carcasses that the sheds sell made from white MDF? If so, I can't see the point of me buying new carcasses. Maybe I could just clean up the old carcasses, repaint teh end end panels and fit new doors & knobs?

Comments/advice welcomed.
Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
depends on the quality of the carcases and how much abuse they have had they will last around 10 or 12 years

how old are you carcases !!!

>how old are you carcases !!!<

About 10 yrs old. Only problems are a couple of sticking drawers.
Also, scuffed end panels and kick panels.
Apart from that, nothing a good clean wouldn't fix.
I don't see why the internals of a base/wall unit need to be brand spanking new. ..if you are on a budget.

What do you think?

Mike

If you are on a budget then crack on with new doors and handles, this is something I do for landlords on a regular basis. You may find that the hinges are in a different position so you will have a few more holes in the inside of your cupboards, but so what.

Sponsored Links
If you are on a budget then crack on with new doors and handles, this is something I do for landlords on a regular basis. You may find that the hinges are in a different position so you will have a few more holes in the inside of your cupboards, but so what.

Thanks for your reply.
As well as new doors + knobs, I could also buy new end panels + kick panels + drawers and fit them to the existing boxes.

Mike

you have to lok out for carcass thickness. If the old ones are (say) 18mm thick, then drawers designed for 22mm won't easily fit.

you have to lok out for carcass thickness. If the old ones are (say) 18mm thick, then drawers designed for 22mm won't easily fit.

Does this also apply for replacement doors?
I have seen replacement doors advertised and have assumed that doors are all standard sizes. Maybe this isn't the case and I should get my tape measure out before buying any.

Thanks
Mike

you get a bit of adjustment on the hinges, but measure first to see if you have a problem. You can tinker with a hinge to see how much it adjusts.

Older and cheaper cabs tend to be thinner.

the cab size (600mm or whatever) is outside edge to outside edge, so the door itself should be the same size regardless of thickness, but you might have to tinker to get a neat shut line.

I had a disappointment when I tried to fit roll-in drawers from a different maker :(

I usually just change the fronts.

If you are going down this road Mike I would buy one sample door and one sample drawer front and check that they will fit. Also check the height of the doors :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back