Kitchen Units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I seem to recall a reg that indicated that sockets etc should not be mounted on Kitchen units & non-structural cupboards.

Is there still such a reg?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
IIRC it's the NIC that issue those sort of prohibitive guidelines to their flock.
In my opinion it is ok to mount on the solid parts of the cupboards but not the flimsy bit at the back
You also need to be aware of access and possible pipe drips etc. An isolator above is a good idea for those hidden away sockets/flex outlets.

Thanks ricicle - although I was pretty sure there was/is reg umm

Think It was in a book called

The Electricians Quide To The Building Regs.
Although as far as I know, it is not actually in the building regs.

It sugested the outlets being on the building fabric, I presume so the units can be removed in the future without involving electrical work.

Sponsored Links
yep its in the electricians guide to the building regulations
page 60 / 5.2.2 (i)

wiring accessories ( eg socket outlets , switches )
should preferably be mounted on the building fabric
and not on kitchen furniture.

well that quote is about as non commital as half the regs themselves. "Should" doesn't mean "must".

'Kitchen furniture' = chairs, tables etc. Not rows of cabinets securely fixed to the wall.

If electrical items couldn't be fixed to kitchen units, this would mean:
no electric hobs, built in ovens or other integrated appliances
no lighting under wall units or plinths
no built in extractor hoods or kickspace heaters
no waste disposal units or boiling water taps

Hi

Are there any special rules when fitting in the cupboard, e.g patresss vs metal box etc.

Cheers

G

If electrical items couldn't be fixed to kitchen units, this would mean:
no electric hobs, built in ovens or other integrated appliances
A false conclusion, because those appliances are specifically designed to be installed in kitchen units, and the units are specifically designed to take appliances.

no lighting under wall units or plinths
no built in extractor hoods or kickspace heaters
no waste disposal units or boiling water taps
Ditto.
Ditto.
Ditto.

530.4.2 is at the root of this. The 'fabric of the building' is not defined.

Now if you choose to interpret this regulation to mean accessories cannot be fitted to kitchen units - you have a problem with supplies to 'island units' :D.

The regulation refers to 'unenclosed equipment' - another term that is not defined. So the old surface mounted sockets (fully enclosed) are alright then :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back