Kitchen wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently snapping up stuff on ebay for a new kitchen, i'm having it rewired by a pro but i'm sourcing as much as poss myself.

so can any one give some advice on the following.

* Do i need to buy dp switched sockets or are sp ok?

* Has the kitchen got to be on a seperate ring to the other rooms ( it is'nt at the moment)?

* Am i right that the boiler should be connected to an rcd FCU?

* Not kitchen related but are there specific regs on the type of consumer unit i need to fit? is there any reason not to buy the this one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=150285821425&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005

cheers

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I'm currently snapping up stuff on ebay for a new kitchen, i'm having it rewired by a pro but i'm sourcing as much as poss myself.

This is a false economy.

You will buy the cheapest, nastiest stuff there is, and wonder why it breaks in 7 weeks time.
Your electrician will have a good working relationship with his wholesaler, and be able to buy quality equipment cheaper than you can.

so can any one give some advice on the following.
* What type\rating cooker switch do i need?

What type\rating cooker do you have?

* Do i need to buy dp switched sockets or are sp ok?

DP are better

* Has the kitchen got to be on a seperate ring to the other rooms ( it is'nt at the moment)?

Depends on the intended loading of the circuits, and current loading of the existing circuits.
Now is the best time to be rewiring it onto a seperate circuit.

* Am i right that the boiler should be connected to an rcd FCU?

Highly unlikely, except if it is installed in a bathroom for example.

* Not kitchen related but are there specific regs on the type of consumer unit i need to fit? is there any reason not to buy the this one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=150285821425&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005

There are a few reasons.
1) I haven't seen your installation, so I don't know what size CU you require
2)It does not comply with the requirements of BS7671
3)It is cheap sh1te, and if I was your electrician, I would refuse to fit it.

No worries

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks for reply.

I'm only buying Molex/crabtree\mk stuff (or any other branded stuff, screwfix catalogue comes in useful).

Take your point on the fuseboard thats why i asked, I'll get 'decent' one then.
what's the requirements of BS7671, i had a split load Volex installed in my own home recently how do i know its upto BS7671, is this related to the new 17th edn regs?

cheers.

(BTW- the cooker question was stupid as i dont know what amp oven i'm fitting)

can you recommend a decent (reasonably priced) fuseboard, the current board is a 5 way unit and i need to add kitchen ring, so only need an 7-8 way unit max. (i'm guessing that it needs to have double rcd's fitted to comply)

anyway any advice on a board will be a great help.

cheers

Sponsored Links
Your electrician needs to earn a given amount of money for his business to be viable, and what matters from the POV of price is the overall total, not how it's arrived at.

IF he chooses to make some of his money by marking up the materials and you deny him that he is not going to accept the reduction in his overall total, and he'll just increase his labour charges to compensate, and you'll end up paying more.

Plus there's the matter of a guarantee - basically you won't get one if you ask him to fit stuff you've bought on eBay.

Has the kitchen got to be on a seperate ring to the other rooms ( it is'nt at the moment)?
That's a design issue which is the province of the electrician, since he has to sign a document to say he designed the installation. It has absolutely nothing to do with what you buy on eBay, so as you're getting a pro to do all the work why are you asking?

what's the requirements of BS7671,
Not easy to summarise, but your electrician will know.

i had a split load Volex installed in my own home recently
I'm confused - are you buying stuff with no provenance on eBay to fit in somebody else's home? :eek: :eek: :eek:

how do i know its upto BS7671, is this related to the new 17th edn regs?
Yes, but your electrician will be on top of all that - you don't need to know.

(i'm guessing that it needs to have double rcd's fitted to comply)
You don't need to guess - you have an electrician who knows.

anyway any advice on a board will be a great help.
My advice is let your electrician choose the CU - it's his responsibility.

Don't buy cheap unseen products.

I recently tried to fit some customer supplied sockets from a well known DIY shed and they were cr*p.

The clamp screws were too narrow to grip wire properly and after taking twice the normal time to fit one I convinced the customer to take them back and use the ones I supplied.

I normally fit GET as a reasonably priced accessory, used fit MK but the quality is not as good as it used to be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back