kitchen worktop joint blown

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my kitchen worktop joints has obviously got water in it somehow, and one edge of a 90 degree joint has slightly lifted/expanded.

I should say that this is a very small area - a coupleof centimetres long and only raised by approx 2mm. But it is noticeable. I have cleared out the old colorseal and reapplied over this area, but I still get the impression it is lifting , though it may be my imagination.

Is there anything else I can do, or is it a case of what is done is done. Will it get any worse?

Not really sure why this has happened. The joint was not 100% brilliant - maybe a 1-2mm gap but it was thouroughly sealed with colorfill up to the top of the joint - I've seen a lot worse!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
P.S. is it worth trying to somehow compress the bit that has expanded back into place, or is that just asking for trouble.

you wont easily compress it back down as the industrial presses exert several hundred kg pressure

whatever you try is likly only to be temporay

you would need to clean both sides of the join fully to have any chance off success

joints should br subjected to the minimum amount of moisture to stop the water finding the only pinhole in the protected edges was the joint near to any source of direct damp [sink cloth ect]

Yes. Its no coincidence we've had a baby recently and the missus drops the lid full of condensation on or near the joint.

I've tried to 'educate' her but its a losing battle, though she does have a point when she says that a kitchen worktop shoule really be able to cope with a bit of water

Sponsored Links
first of all congratulations :D :D :D

secondly any fitter worth his salt would avoid joints in high risk areas and take 3 tiered precautions to reduce risk if in these areas

as in 2 coats of varnish fully covering cut edges and colourseal /silicone oozing 1mm proud to ensure complete coveraage on joints and cutouts

secondly any fitter worth his salt

That'd be me then :cry:

Must admit I did a lot of digging, including on here, and never saw anything re the varnish. Oh well - you live and learn. Thought I'd done quite a good job as well.

Will just have to hope it doesn't get any worse

people use paint pva varnish colourfill silicon contact adhesive all will give full protection in comparetivly safe areas

the secret is to avoid any joins in danger areas or planning joints within a danger area you only need a tiny pin prick of a hole now in safe areas it would take years to blow but in an area where water may stand

There's no way I could have avoided it being where it is unfortunately. I suppose I could have used something else to coat the edges, but I did use a whole tube of colorfill and assumed that was all I needed.

Is there anything I can do, or just pray? I've scraped out the colorfill from the affected area and filled it with colorfill again, making it protrude a litttle bit more.

could and does happen to the best of us :D ;)

even done fully according to the best possible standards in the wrong area still has a 20% chance of failure even more if left wet for more than a small time :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back