Kitchen Worktop sealing Sink + Hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
I'm going to be fitting my sink + hob into my new worktop in the next day or so, but have a question about sealing them up.

Both the sink + hob came with strips of sealant to be fitted under them (like plasticine or dumdum type stuff), if this seal is run all the way around the perimeter of the item - Is it still neccesary to seal with silicone around it ?

Obviously this is more of a question for the sink rather than the hob, but still...

Are there any 'Tips' for making a nice silicone seal around an item without making a real mess, and plastering all over the sink/hob? Such as putting masking tape around edges then peeling off once bead run + smoothed?

Ta for any advice!

:D

Joe

Sponsored Links
You should not need both if the units are secured correctly, though sometimes difficult to pull down sink evenly in which case you can run silicon under edges and wipe off any that protrudes, should not be any showing from outside.

Smear a good quality silicon on the cut edges of your sink/hob cutouts,
this will prevent any ingress, should your seals fail.

Provided your worktops are flat, the seals provided will suffice.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies guys,

I was just wondering about the plumbers-mait type seal that comes with the sink - since most sinks I've seen (or should that be noticed!) have the usual smear of silcone around them.

But yes I had sealed up the edge of the sink cutout this eve with silcone and then tomorrow eve I'll install the sink using the seal that came with the sink.

Hopefully it'll all be fine. ;)

Cheers again for the advice!!

JOE

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back