lost a tooth, worktop hob help

foamit";p="1700312 said:
First let me explain my username- got some lovely, 8-inch long silver metal handles for the cupboard fronts. The first one I tried to screw in with a new electric screwdriver, well, it spun right around like a whiplash and shattered one of my front teeth. Great. 2 hour ago, still hurts like heck.

I can't picture how you could be fixing the handles and mouth be within 8 inches of it? If I was fixing handles my head would be about 20 inches *in front* of the handle not looking down on it :confused:

If you are a newbie, before doing any jobs try and think ahead if something went wrong what would happen. Any power tools in unskilled hands can have disasterous results. Don't buy a chainsaw just yet![/quote

Yep

you will have more than a broken tooth. OUCH.

As a tech trained in electrical repair, PCB repair etc..my mate called me saying he had an intermittant fault on his TV, so I went round for a looksee, as I didn't have a service manual, and could be anything wrong.

Had a quick looksee, and nothing obvious, so he called his neighbour round, and the BS and winging it was unbelievable! He was so out of his depth, as he isn't qualified from what I know, they are prodding the motherboard, messing with the HT lead, but when they switched it on, and then started to pry, I could only sense disaster, so turned it off, and beat a hasty retreat, with excessive warnings about don't attempt to do that again!

Sponsored Links
When I was a youngster, many years ago, I prodded in the back of a telly that had been unplugged for over a week.
Got one hell of a belt! :eek:
Stored charge apparently I was told.

htgeng";p="1700160 said:
If you are a newbie, before doing any jobs try and think ahead if something went wrong what would happen. Any power tools in unskilled hands can have disasterous results. Don't buy a chainsaw just yet!

I'm sure we've all been there at some point - my humdinger was cutting plasterboard with a nice sharp stanley knife and a miniscule little guide I was cutting against - of course the knife skipped over the guard and practically sliced my little finger off! My other half nearly fainted while I was filling the sink with blood, and I've got a nice 2 inch scar all down my pinkie to show for it. ;)

OP, shame you didn't get that on camera! Is it still 250 quid on You've Been Framed?

Russ :)

I can't picture how you could be fixing the handles and mouth be within 8 inches of it? If I was fixing handles my head would be about 20 inches *in front* of the handle not looking down on it :confused:

really?

a power drill / screwdriver and an upper ( or even lower ) cupboard door?

you open the door, hold the handle in your left hand on one side of the door, the drill in your right hand and you're then face height to a door end on and the direction of "spin" if the screw bottoms out ( thinner door or longer screw ) iscoming up at you from below..

I can post pictures if needed..

Sponsored Links
When I was a youngster, many years ago, I prodded in the back of a telly that had been unplugged for over a week.
Got one hell of a belt! :eek:
Stored charge apparently I was told.

That was either 400-600V DC (that sticks your hand to the charging device, for the full effect!)

Or 32,000V from the HT lead, quick, sharp, and deadly!

A couple more that I recall; I worked as a harddrive manufacturer, and got a return, but the customer had relocated the powerswitch to the front of the case, so when I open the sliding case forward, I was presented with a legoblock type connection from the origional switch, to the new switch up front, so I couldn't get the case off, so I unscrewed this connection, not realising it was still plugged in, touched the wire, my hand shot up in reflex, hit a shelf above the work area, which caused my hand to go back and touch the wire again! Double OUCH!!!! I don't know if the double shock, or the bruising to my hand hurt me more!

Retracting toast with a metal knife - ouch!

Cutting a plywood board, the large saw jumps out, and nearly severs my thumb, blood is pumping. I have a phobia about saws now. My driving skills on jigsaws is useless..the gaps in my doors are useless.

Cutting a plywood board, the large saw jumps out, and nearly severs my thumb, blood is pumping. I have a phobia about saws now. My driving skills on jigsaws is useless..the gaps in my doors are useless.

People look at me funny when I tell them I cut my doors down with a router - but you sound like you're in the same jigsaw zone I am, can't use one for toffee! A straight piece of wood, some nails (and some wood filler), a router and an electric sander later and the cuts are nice and neat. ;)

People look at me funny when I tell them I cut my doors down with a router - but you sound like you're in the same jigsaw zone I am, can't use one for toffee! A straight piece of wood, some nails (and some wood filler), a router and an electric sander later and the cuts are nice and neat. ;)

You don't cut a door with a router???? When I hit a nail, it is guaranteed to go in L shaped. No doubt. I'm pretty certain there is a name for a person that makes L shaped nails? (Before idiot, blind, useless etc...)

Whats wrong with an old fashioned saw & plane?

I said above, I was sawing and the saw jumped, and nearly severed my thumb. So when I fitted my doors, I used a jigsaw, very badly. More curves than a pretty lady. Then my manual plane, which flies better than a real plane when thrown across the room in frustration. So got my hands on an electric plane, skimmed some off, fitted door, still won't fit; repeat several times; still no fit, I live in an old house where nothing is square or flat. So winds the electric plane in, takes a huge chunk out of a door.

Small pets can limbo under my doors. I admit, not the best at DIY.

I got a free heatgun when I bought a drill, so thought to strip the paint on my window...immediate result? Glass cracked. Oops!

Whats wrong with an old fashioned saw & plane?
I should have added "in skilled hands"

:LOL: I have skilled hands in another trade, electronics repair, it's just that my hands are scarred and blistered by DIY! :LOL:

I got barred from the manly subjects in school, for sticking a hammer into a grinder, just to see the fireworks, when the teech was out of sight. Not realising that tempered/hardened steel could explode under such curcumstances. So I got busted. And had to do needlecraft, and cookery. With the LADIES....

But regardless of the distraction of the ladies...needlework, made me better at soldering, close diagnostic work on electronics, and I can now cook a mean meal. If I stuck with DIY woodwork/metalwork, then I'd be crap at soldering, and starve, an extension is good, but not if you can't eat! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back