kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i need a socket moved and one added in my kitchen and some down lights installed.
i got a couple of quotes one guy said that the kitchen should now be on its own circuit for sockets ect the other guy said no
who is correct.
i also want to put the cooker switch inside a cupboard is this allowed ?
thanks

Sponsored Links
There's nothing to say the kitchen has to be on a separate circuit or not. It's good practice to keep all the heavy loads on their own circuit, but not required.

The isolation switch for the cooker should be readily accessible.

Inside a cupboard doesn't really qualify....

But why on earth do you want it there?

There is no specific requirement for a dedicated circuit for the kitchen.

However rings should be designed to avoid putting a large cluster of load away from the center of the ring (a large cluster of load in the center is ok) to reduce the risk of overloading caused by an unbalanced load.

Sponsored Links
Dont install halogen downlights. Install these instead:

Much better, in every respect. I'll be buying some myself when I do my kitchen. You can buy a white frosted glass trim, so you wont even know they are there! They require a 15cm cutout, but thats because you get much more light from them, than a halogen light, and you'll only need half as many, if that. Ignore the price on that link, they seem to have screwed up their website somehow - the price on that page is for the emergency version, the standard one for 2 x 13w is about £22.

Indeed it is. I shall let you know how I get on with them when I fit them, it'll be a few months yet.

For some reason the single 18w one is about £40 on the website I linked to. :confused: Something gone amiss with their pricing and web design I think.

Indeed it is. I shall let you know how I get on with them when I fit them, it'll be a few months yet.

For some reason the single 18w one is about £40 on the website I linked to. :confused: Something gone amiss with their pricing and web design I think.

I'm confused as to why these lights feature a gearbox unless they move remotely? Am I misreading the product page? What type of bulb are these if they're not halogen?

i need a socket moved and one added in my kitchen and some down lights installed.
i got a couple of quotes one guy said that the kitchen should now be on its own circuit for sockets ect the other guy said no
who is correct.
both, as there is more than one way to interpret the regs and apply them in a practical sense.
i also want to put the cooker switch inside a cupboard is this allowed ?
thanks
yes, so long as it securely fixed (so not to a flimsy 4mm carcass backboard) and it remains relatively accessible (so don't put it at the back where its going to be obscured by pots/pans etc.)

They are compact fluorescent - energy saving. The "gear box" is the ballast etc that you need to drive a fluorescent lamp. Usually called a gear tray.

thanks for replys
iam still confused one guy wants £860 the other wants£1350
i want the cooker switch in the cupboard because they are ugly and i want it out of sight if poss

i want the cooker switch in the cupboard because they are ugly and i want it out of sight if poss
1) No they are not.

2) It's not.

3) Repeat the following until you get it:

A kitchen is a place of work.

1) No they are not.
Thats the isolated opinion of one person whose taste has been questioned on many, many occasions. You are free to form your own opinion as to what is pleasing to look at and what is not.

Just out of curiosity, do you or anyone you know have any recessed downlighters installed at home? :)
2) It's not.
it is
3) Repeat the following until you get it:

Don't listen to sheddy, he's not an electrician

As i understand it, fixing a cooker switch securely inside a cupboard where it is accessible and not likely to be damaged is acceptable to the NICEIC and Napit. (Don't know about the others)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back