Knocking hole in wall for big extract fan - need a lintel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Small (2mx2m) utility room with flat roof. Cavity wall (block inside, brick out). I need to install a large (250mm diameter) extractor fan in one of the external walls.

It will be quite high up, so in terms of the load from above the hole it will be approx 5 coarses of brick, and maybe a ceiling joist for the flat roof if one happens to be above that bit of wall.

Lintel? Seems unlikely to me for such a "small" hole.

Or I could make the hole square (say 280mm) and put a strong wood box tunnel in.

Any advice welcomed.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't bother with a lintel. A brick is 215mm, at worst, the most that can fall is one brick assuming that full brick is fully over the opening. Just a thin box to close the cavity is needed.

Just drill the hole. Circles are naturally strong and distribute load well, just look at viaduct/bridge/building arches.

Square would be weaker.

foto_no_exif (2).jpg

Sponsored Links
That's what happens when you use a howitzer instead of a core drill

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back