knocking sound from throttle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. The car started making some dodgy noises today which can best be described as knocking but its hard to say as my 7 year old wouldnt ****ing shut up :) when I was trying to listen to it. I think it also made the noise when stationary, possibly out of gear when I revved it. After half an hour or so I started it up again and had a very short drive and dont think I could hear it.
So anyone got any thoughts? Im sure it'll have to go in a garage but as they are all booked for weeks Im at a bit of a loss. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Need more info to even take a guess.

Knocking from where? How much revving needed to hear it? Oil level ok? What car is it?

Hard to tell where exactly. Couldn't hear it when I was stood in front. Oil level was ok. Oil was changed a year ago this week though. 15 Old vw Passat diesel. Just normal slow
Need more info to even take a guess.

Knocking from where? How much revving needed to hear it? Oil level ok? What car is it?
driving was enough at first. Then it seemed to have stopped but I didn't dare to drive it for long.

Check air hoses , a small split can cause erratic running especially when engine revs.

Sponsored Links
A bit of an update. I left the car overnight where we stopped. Went back yesterday and tried it. As it didn't make the noise I managed to get it the 12 or so miles home without indecent. Which of good of course but not sure what to do now. My obd isn't finding anything. I'll have a look at the hoses and belt etc. But what else, does it need a big garage to diagnose it?

If the car is behaving right now then a garage won’t be able to do anything.....
Frayed belts don’t repair themselves, a failed injector ( for example) likewise.
Try switching the A/C off to rule out the compressor clutch - well renowned for rattling.
John

Back