knocking through a wall to make doorway bigger etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello folks - after some advice please - we are looking to knock through the wall from living room to kitchen and putting in double doors in a more central position.
we would also be blocking up where the old door would be (where it is just now).
I have a few questions -

inregards to blocking up part of the door way would it be better to put up a stud wall or brick it?

and inregards to the actual doorway we would be knocking in - one guy has told us we would not need a lintle as the timber frame of the doorway would suffice - the wall itself is not a retaining wall.

pic of said wall from livingroom side with original doorway .
about 2 odd foot of that would be bricked up or studded?
2v9u6xc.jpg

that bit of wall your looking at is only one brick thick.

same wall from the kitchen side -
sw8zy9.jpg

the reasons of the lines there is that it used to be a full size floor to ceiling cupboard which we ripped out.

now that white beam your looking at was part of the old cupboard - the side of it if you will.
we have also been told that its safe to take it out as its not supporting anything at all - closer pics of side of cupboard - again only one brick wide
1qfx3b.jpg

2njbrwp.jpg

the guy said theoretically it could all be taken down an knocked through in a day and with 3x2 timber frame around the new doorway it would hold no probs..I am not so sure so would genuinely appreciate some more information, I do appreciate that folk are at work and I can only do this now as I am off this week.

genuine thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
What is upstairs above this wall?

there is nothing directly above it as such as the kitchen sits out from the house so we have the small roof for the kitchen - above the livingroom from the inside is a bedroom.

hopefully that helps.

IF there's nothing above it and it's NOT supporting anything then starting from the top Knock it down.

Sponsored Links
IF there's nothing above it and it's NOT supporting anything then starting from the top Knock it down.

ok thanks for that..what about being told to not use a lintle and just use the timber frame surely a lintle of sorts would be a must?

and finally - stud wall the old doorway or brick it? whats best long run?

thanks and appreciated.

ok thanks for that..what about being told to not use a lintle and just use the timber frame surely a lintle of sorts would be a must?

and finally - stud wall the old doorway or brick it? whats best long run?

thanks and appreciated.

forgot to ask - if I suspect so a lintle is to be used what would be best?

once again thanks in advance.

You sure its not supporting the floor joists?

Either way put a lintel in as a brick wall is much better for hanging kitchen cabinets etc.

You sure its not supporting the floor joists?

Either way put a lintel in as a brick wall is much better for hanging kitchen cabinets etc.

inregards to it not supporting the floor - as far as the builder who looked at said its not as the floor was running the other way -
and alot of the other houses have this taken out too.

what you say about the kitchen units makes good sense so bricking it up will be done - I dare say breeze blocks and skimming will suffice..

and one last question if I may - what lintel would do the job?

I have to say I have gotten more correct advice from this forum than someone who was in my house for 40 mins looking at the wall etc..

many thanks guys - genuinely.

Well if its only supporting a handful of courses and nothing else, one of These will do in the length you require.

I dare say breeze blocks and skimming will suffice..

Blocks, bonding coat to old doorway to bring flush then skim the whole wall once you have your lintel in and slap out done.

alastair - a big west of scotland thanks to you - originally from glasgow myself.
your advice is appreciated.

will put pics of it as I do the job.

cheers

Well if its only supporting a handful of courses and nothing else, one of These will do in the length you require.

Spot on BUT phone round a few local builders merchants, I always find Jewsons and TP to be extortionate rip off merchants.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back