Labours next stealth tax

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just heard on TV, that if labour are re-elected they are introducing a tax on the disposal of any of our household electrical items. So when you take your old toaster or kettle to the tip, you will probably have to pay a tenner to get rid of it. :evil:

Sponsored Links
nstreet said:
Just heard on TV, that if labour are re-elected they are introducing a tax on the disposal of any of our household electrical items. So when you take your old toaster or kettle to the tip, you will probably have to pay a tenner to get rid of it. :evil:

The price we have to pay for our consumer society I suppose, it's about time we started to think about the cost of disposing of the things we have used. I would have thought that a better way would be to levy the charge at the point of sale, which would help to cut down on illegal disposal. I seem to remember talk about adding a charge for disposal to the price of new cars. I wonder what happened to that?

In our street, as no doubt in many others, the overworked bin men only have time to hitch our wheelies onto the back of the moving lorry. It would be a piece of cake to hide an old toaster in amongst the tax free rubbish.

So who'll get the none too pleasant job of searching the lorry for illicit waste when it arrives at the dump - then searching the surrounding rubbish for evidence of who hid it in there? Oddly enough I do have an answer to this. It's an ideal candidate for some truly gruesome community service. "No slacking Archer you 'orrible little man, there's another three hundred lorries out there!"

Sponsored Links
Nah, they are going to introduce a post tax, every letter you send you get charged 10p tax and every post on a forum is 10p too. :LOL: :LOL:

Yet another dumb idea, which will only encourage more fly tipping. Where I live, we are already restricted on the amount of items we can dump in our tips. There was even a suggestion that people would be fined for leaving their bins out on non-bin days :eek: . Who will they get to police this c**p and how much will actually be saved by the time they pay some prat to come and inspect.

Another good reason to live where there is plenty of dumping ground .. like Oz.
In Bath they were excitedly talking about fining residents who placed recyclable waste in the non-recyclable dustbin / wheelie whatever .. This from the same council who have thrown away £40Million, the cost of putting right the debacle of the local 'Spa Project' ...
Our composting service utilises wheelie bins and large paper bags .. the latter cost 35p each last year, now 50p ....
Oh, here's a good one, attendees of 'church' schools (eg. Catholic) are provided free transport by the council, from CT funds, whereas the rest of us pay silly bus fares ... Two children's bus fares from where I live amount over the year to half the real running cost of my car .... Could this be cynical .. Slap a congestion charge on us and we'll be between a rock and a hard place ..
I said elsewhere we are a discriminatory country .. Here they even discriminate against children ...
:mad:

Killemall said:
Yet another dumb idea, which will only encourage more fly tipping. Where I live, we are already restricted on the amount of items we can dump in our tips. There was even a suggestion that people would be fined for leaving their bins out on non-bin days :eek: . Who will they get to police this c**p and how much will actually be saved by the time they pay some prat to come and inspect.
I cycle past a row of wheelies every Wednesday on the way to work at pre 6am. Last week somebody had obviously come along and kicked all the night outers over, when I left work 13 hours later the bins had been emptied but any rubbish lying in the (main) road was still there !! including cans/broken bottles. And this in a cycle lane !! Think I'll get the car out and risk a puncture instead of risking bodily harm.
PIPME... Christ you get up earlier than me !!!! ;)

I get up earlier than the bigger C !! At times.

Mr B(r)easley ( We dop our 'r's hee abouts) out on the gallops then ? .... Shergar with Lucan perhaps ? .... ;) ;)

nstreet said:

In NL (The Netherlands, or Holland if you persist ;) ) it's the otherway around: suppliers of household electrical items charge you a tenner (or a fiver for small items) as a removal fee: meaning when you replace your item later the supplier of that new machine has to take your old one away for free. All the suppliers are linked up with a regulated disposal of electrical good items companies who dispose of it environmental safely.

That's the way to do it, preventing fly tipping etc.

If destructor fee is to be charged .... Being diyer's we shall purchase angle grinders, srewdrivers etc, reduce the appliance to fragments, sort and store useful (and non-useful) items screws, washers, pipes, clips, frames etc and dispose of the residue sensibly ..

Some will leave the appliance at a mutually inconveient place, like the local car park or road verge ... others may hurl the fragments from their vehicle whilst driving country lanes on the Look out for places to dump their garden waste - wrapped in plastic of course.
:D

pipme said:
Another good reason to live where there is plenty of dumping ground .. like Oz.

So you see Oz as a new place to dump your rubbish? Don't put this on your application form!

why not, we dumped all our human rubbish there for centuries.....mind you look whats happened to all that lot now its fermented!! :LOL:

Again this is all to do with the EU :!:

England discards 2,500,000 unwanted fridges at a rate of 6,500 a day. Thanks to the EU regulations which came into force on 1st January 2002 and which prevent the crushing and burying of old fridges which are now stockpiled on car parks and in fields. The government has accepted this EU regulation but has done nothing about finding an acceptable way of dealing with the unwanted fridges which is rotting away away and releasing their unwanted gases into the air. The French have the right idea they simply ignore the EU. Blair's team having got a clue.

Masona, your partly right, but it was the Blair Government that actually stopped all the Fridges being sent to China for recycling, this left the EU with a problem of how to dispose of them and as yet no acceptable solution has been found.

Sponsored Links
Back