Lack of Hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, my first post is a plea for advice.

Over the last month, the flow of water through the hot system has slowed accompanied by interesting gurgles as the water surges back and forth.
Its an indirect hot system, that I put in 20 years ago.

I thought it might be an air lock, but it has not responded to standard treatment.

Ive sent mains pressure water through(bypassing the header) and the flow is fine. The expansion pipe from the top of the hot cylinder overflows almost immediately the mains is connected.

I think I have a blockage (scale?) in the pipework between the loft and the bathroom. Ive put some acid down, but it doesnt seem to have done much, tho it did fiz a lot.

Does this make sense, or should I be thinking of something else, such as a blockage in the hot cylinder somewhere?
A few months ago I replaced a T junction in the boiler feed which had become silted. I know they are not connected, but the symptoms are analagous.

Sponsored Links
Top connection on cylinder is the favourite they get quite a build up of scale on them, remove and clean

..A few months ago I replaced a T junction in the boiler feed which had become silted. I know they are not connected, but the symptoms are analagous.
Chances are that the entire system is badly clogged up and needs rigorous cleaning

Sponsored Links
Loads of CH systems are perfectly ok and clean even if the cold feed has blocked at some stage

Ive got that connector out and its a bit limy. Having a cuppa then popping a new one in. Pipework leaving the top of the tank seems fine.
IF that doesnt do it, does my original theory about the hot pipe to the taps being limed up "hold water" ??:LOL:
And -how do I clean it out Bengasman ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back