Ladders for loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm hoping to convert our attic into another room. We don't have enough height room in loft to put in permanent stairs so were going to put in ladders that would probably stay down all the time. Is it possible to put in ladders that look like stairs!? i.e. not too steep and strong sturdy steps with plenty of room on each step so that you dont trip.
Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
jm - as you don't have "enough height room in loft to put in permanent stairs" that suggests to me that you'll have insufficient height to get approval from your Local Authority for a conversion to habitable space, if this is the case what you will be doing is creating a 'storage' ;) area up there. In a sense 'cos it's not approved work you can do pretty much what you like for access; so why not consider a spiral staircase? Maybe a aluminium copy of one of those delightful Victorian cast iron jobbies ... it'll look great especially if you live in an old house.

Thanks Symptoms, just had a look at what you suggested and these look ideal. Was wondering if I was to put in spiral or modular staircases would they be classed as "permanent" staircases. When we eventually came to sell the house would these have to be taken out and replaced with ladders?

spiral staircases are ok so long as all you are intending to carry into the loft, is a shoebox. :rolleyes: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Would this also be okay for the modular staircase? The situation we have is that the only place a spiral staircase could go in our house would open up at a very low point in the loft. The modular type would angle more and open up near the centre of the loft..

By "modular" do you mean the alternating tread type

157_Lupus%20comp.jpg
(if this link works?)

Yes thats what I had found, though would be hoping to find ones without the alternating tread. If this was possible we could conceal them behind a door in our bedroom and it would open up near the highest part of the loft

I am sure you can get them without the alternating treads.
If you are putting the access in a cupboard, as mentioned earlier making a "storage attic" rather than a bedroom, you should be fine.
Of course it's up to you what you actually use your "Attic" for :)

jm - like I said in my earlier post, if this isn't an approved conversion to a habitable space ... all you are doing is providing means of access to a storage area. When you sell the house that loft area can only be described as storage space (even if the prospective buyers see a bed, etc. up there). No need to remove the means of access so long as it's 'fit for purpose'.

thanks guys for clearing that up for me, i feel reassured now to go ahead with the conversion and create a lovely storage space ;)

makes no odds what kind of staircase you put in, if you don't have 1.9m over the top tread then Bc won't sign it off. do the right thing and build a dormer or if you have 1.9 at the ridge after new floor etc then try eiother with a spiral or a winder staircase to get the staircase to open into the room at the ridge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back