Laminate floor over existing vinyl floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

My wife has made it known that she requires laminate flooring in the hallway and kitchen. There is an exisitng vinyl floor in the kitchen and i was wondering whether i should remove this first.

Thanks,
Pelvis.

Sponsored Links
I don't see why you should. Is the vinyl in tile form or a sheet and is the floor concrete or floorboards? I'm just wondering if you'd need a dpm down first if it's tiles. I'd put an underlay down though. Maybe woodyoulike or mattysupra will be along soon to advise you better.

Not much to add Gcol.
Indeed, use a combi underlayment including a dpm layer to prevent any sweating of the vinyl getting in the wood (sorry, laminate ;))

gcol said:
I don't see why you should. Is the vinyl in tile form or a sheet and is the floor concrete or floorboards? I'm just wondering if you'd need a dpm down first if it's tiles. I'd put an underlay down though. Maybe woodyoulike or mattysupra will be along soon to advise you better.
The vinyl is is sheet form and under that is chipboard nailed to the floor beams. It's one of those new homes they build. Should i lay a dpm, then the underlay then the laminate?
Pelvis.

Sponsored Links
Hi Pelvis.

Nowadays a 2 in 1 product exists, what we call combi-underlayment. It has a DPM layer AND a sound-insulation layer, comes in rolls, very handy and practical.

Thanks for your tips guys. From what i understand I can leave the vinyl and lay the laminate on top.

Pelvis.

you dont need a dpm barrier. you could use vinyl for this but as chip board subfloor not needed. If vinyl glued down leave in place but if loose laid i would be tempted to take it up.

take vinyl up if loose laid! If your vinyl is glued down lay your laminate floor over the top! any better? :confused:

Much better - I take it your wife wrote that for you? There's nothing wrong with dyslexia though. Take care.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back