Laminate floor panels beginning to rise up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

We had lounge/dining room fitted professionally with laminate about eight years ago. (Not wood) It’s been great, but now notice an area which is “spongy” when you step on it. Panels also not butting together properly.

It’s just a small area but guess it will spread.

Not sure we still have the details of the contractor, or whether he’s still in business. Either way, I’ll get someone out.

Will they need to replace the whole floor in these circumstances?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3947.jpeg
    IMG_3947.jpeg
    302.5 KB · Views: 50
Sponsored Links
Thanks. Not sure how water has got into that area. Also not expecting free fix. More about whether whole dining room/lounge area would need to be re-laid?

that flooring does look shot to me on many edges like maybe spills over the years as its typical surface edge damage from water or other liquids from above

i assume it is not wet mopped with spillages removed in seconds ??

Sponsored Links
If it is clipped rather than the old glued sort it can be repaired.
I had a similar problem with a property I used to rent, the tenant got a dog and a cat despite a no pets agreement and either pee or water bowl spillage did the same to the brand new laminate in the lounge!
Luckily I had bought extra laminate and had matching boards I did have to lift half the room back to the wall, but it all went down OK.

Agreed re water damage. Water has got into the joints and swollen the wood fibres.

Many thanks for helpful replies. No to wet mop within nanoseconds. It was done circa 2016, so not sure whether clip or glue prevailing method then.

Might be a leaking radiator pipe. Sometimes a door or French window. Is it in a room that contains other water?

When you pull it up you will probably see water stains leading to the source. If the floor beneath is chipboard it will also need to be replaced where damaged.

Thanks. Could be leaking radiator pipe. Not sure what you mean by “contains other water”?

Will get someone to have a look.

Sink. Bath. Kettle. Boiler. Fishtank. Fridge.

I wonder if a proper expansion gap was left when initially installed!?

Agreed. It looks like water damage causing the edges to curl up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back