Laminate flooring in Kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am going to lay slate tile style laminate flooring in my kitchen and wonder if I should lay this under the washing machine. The machine is quite heavy and akward to "walk2 out of the space it is in. I am wondering if the vibration of the machine would move the laminate boards apart. Do you normally lay laminate under a washing machine?

Sponsored Links
laminate not a good choice for a bathroom or kitchen even when specificly designed

you need to ask which will be replaced first
in general providing you have enough clearence under the worktop
fit the kitchen unit then laminate up to the legs and in the recesses
then fit the plinths
then you can replace the flooring when nessisery without disturbing the units

As stated laminate is not a good idea in the kitchen, under a w/m it will just get destroyed all the quicker if there is a leak.

Whatever flooring you lay, continue it to the back of the recess for the washing machine, or it will be a real swine to get the machine out if you ever have to, as you'll have to lift it over the step at the edge of the flooring.

The previous occupant of our old house laid vinyl flooring that only extended halfway under the washing machine, with just an offcut under the rear feet. moving the machine out, the back legs caught under the edge of the vinyl, lifting it and tearing a large chunk out of it.

Sponsored Links
There are laminate flooring products made which have a PVC core and plastic base and are suitable for kitchens and bathrooms. These laminate floors contain absolutely no timber and are unaffected by moisture.
Should you proceed with laminate flooring in your kitchen, I'd remove the washing machine and lay flooring right into the space before putting the w/machine back. ;) ;) ;)

I tiled my kitchen floor, but only upto the washing machine. So suggest you do the same with laminate flooring.

I would lay it under the W/M as already stated it's a right sod of a job pulling the machine out, with the step down.
I have never known W/M vibration to effect laminate.
If you thought it would be a problem, you could consider glueing the joints under the W/M for extra protection against this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back