laminate flooring problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello , i have laminated flooring in my bedroom , but i want to replace with carpet. i have noticed that the laminate runs all the way through the room and into my fitted wardrobe , this means that the rail that the wardrobe doors slide on has been screwed down on to flooring . will thios be a problem when fittind carpet .because the rail will have to be removed for the carpet to be fitted and it might not fit right . please help :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sponsored Links
The problem you have is screwing the rail onto carpet and underlay you will just end up with an undulating rail and the doors will not run smoothly. What you need to do is get a piece of timber the same thickness as the laminate floor + existing underlay and cut it to the length of the rail. Now!, if your rail is 60mm wide then the width of timber needs to be about 40mm.

Lay the timber so its centred to rail and fix then fix rail to it, then the carpet fitter can put grippers either side of the rail and tuck the underlay and carpet under it.

If you put anything under the bottom track you will rise the the door up. Make sure that it will still fit properly to the top track. With some sliding systems it might not be possible to lift up doors, some will be ok having few cm margin in the top track so check first. If impossible to rise than you will have to cut the carpet at the edge of rail. You can then try to finish it with some profile so doors doesnt catch the carpet.

Sponsored Links
A carpet fitted with gripper and underlay can't be laid on a laminate floor, so the laminate will need to be lifted prior to fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back