Laminate : problem with no wall to build against

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new house, and having removed the skirting board, I have noted that the plastered wall does not go all the way to the wall, leaving a gap between 2 and 4 centimetres.

I have continued, using the spacers as best I can to keep the expansion gap, however many of them have simply collapsed under the wall.

Having completed my room (5metres by 4metres), I have noticed that some panels have locked better than others (some are smooth, others have a small gap between them) and in some instances I am seeing panels sliding, leaving me with 20mm gaps between panels on their narrow end.

I have laid Laminate before, and believe that I have followed the instructions, so am putting my problems down to not having a solid wall to butt up against.

I can only think of a few options ...
* Plasterer to complete wall down to ground
* Get a couple of cans of Expander Foam and use that to fill gap
* Use No Nails to stick a wood baton in place and use that to butt up against
* Nail some batons to the wall in place of the spacers and butt up against them

Does anyone have any other ideas, or is one of the above or a combination of these a good idea ???

Sponsored Links
a batton fixed to the wall then your expansion gap spacers before filling with cork strips.

a batton fixed to the wall then your expansion gap spacers before filling with cork strips.

Thanks badgerchief. If I create some battons, and screw/nail those to the wall below the level of where the skirting board will go back, and make them long enough that they will touch the concrete floor, wouldn't I then just need to build my floor against them ??

Why would I need battons and spacers

What does the cork strip do ??

the spacers are removed before fitting the cork the cork allows the floating floor i.e. the laminate to expand/contract without coming apart or the joints opening up if there is going to be a gap underneath the laminate where it butts up against the intended batton you may need to fill this if it seams large or a gap may appear between the floor and skirting board once fitted
a picture always helps

Sponsored Links
Thanks BadgerChief, and noted WoodYouLike.

The floor has been taken up, we have binned the roll 2mm Roll Underlay in favour of some 6mm Panel Underlay from B&Q, and we have screwed battons to the wall below the level of the skirting board.

The floor has now been relayed butting up against my Battons and has gone down a whole lot better. It still isnt perfect but I am satisfied with the result.

I am leaving it all to settle for a week now, watching for any movement that I need to correct. I will then remove the battons next weekend and replace the skirting board.

Thanks both for your help !!!! :) :) :) :)

if i`m wrong i stand corrected however they refer to a wooden floor not laminate which dosen`t expand and contract as much?
No expansion gap around the perimeter of any wood floor (or copy-cat wood floor like laminate) should be filled really. See here

No, could be because we don't do 'laminate' flooring.
But that's not really the point. Even if laminate flooring doesn't expand - and normally it shouldn't, but still can - telling someone they can fill the gap most will think it is a valid practice for all types of floors.
So, better safe than sorry in these matters.

No, could be because we don't do 'laminate' flooring.
But that's not really the point. Even if laminate flooring doesn't expand - and normally it shouldn't, but still can - telling someone they can fill the gap most will think it is a valid practice for all types of floors.
So, better safe than sorry in these matters.

fair comment but the question refered to laminate not a wooden floor ?

It seems we are on a quest to 'ban' the practise of filling expansion gaps with cork.

If laminate flooring would never expand why then do all manufacturers of the stuff tell you to leave expansion gaps around?

don't fill the expansion gaps, it's there for a reason! To cater for expanding floors in seasons where there is a higher humidity. Fill it up with cork or anything else and you run the high risk of cupped boards!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back