Landing Light keeps blowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My landing light keeps blowing. At first I thought that it was the ceiling rose, but I have put a new one on and the same still happens. All I have done is take the old ceiling rose out and put the blue wire and the brown wire in the places in the terminal wher the original ones came out of. STUCK now. Anyone help

Sponsored Links
What do you mean keeps blowing? Every time you use it or weekly? Do you use cheap lamps? Is there a lamp shade which stops the heat from escaping? Have you tried an energy saving lamp?

there is a fault somewhere but it is difficult to establish what it is. Thought it was a faulty ceiling rose. It seems that it is lectrical but have only put wires back in exactly the same places as wires came out when I replaced the ceiling rose.

If you have replaced the ceiling rose & put the wires back as they were then that would seem to rule out the rose being faulty. If you only have one cable with 2 cores then you either have a junction box or connector block, in the ceiling where the fault could be, or if the switch has been used to terminate the wires it could be the switch.Or it could be neither of these in which case you have a real problem. When you took the ceiling rose down could you see any sign of other cables?

Sponsored Links
now that you mention that it could be the switch that makes sense. the light in question can be operated from upstairs on a single switch and downstairs on a double that also operates the hall. Think i would be better getting an elctrician do you think

What about worn springs on the lampholder pins?Did you replace the whole fitting or just the rose?

Sarah

i replaced the whole fitting cos it was the lampholder that was broken. I do think it may be the switches cos they have all been replaced. Could it be the double switch downstairs in the hall that opeartes the landing light and the hall light that maybe has been wired incorrectly.

Starting from the beginning, what do you mean by blowing, the fuse? You say you have replaced the ceiling rose, was it blowing before you did this? How many cables are there in the ceiling rose and what colour wires?

Before I replaced the ceiling rose the it wasn't working as i think the lamp holder had perished cracked or what ever due to the wattage of the bulb being too much (I think) so I just thought replace the rose and everything should be ok. But since this light stopped working and before I replaced the ceiling rose of said light all the light switches have been changed as we have redecorated.

So........deep breath........ now that i have changed the rose and have only taken out the neutral and live wires and replaced them with the ones of the new rose everything should be the same. It is on some kind of loop cos in the ceiling rose itself (the brown fitting) there are wires in both live, neutral and loop.

there are 3 wires coming out of the ceiling intotal and I do know that one will be the switch, one will be from the mains and the other will feed the next light.

I am just frustrated as it is probably something and nothing but electrics is a minefield

So you replaced the lampholder and the piece of wire from the ceiling rose, but not the ceiling rose itself?

thats right. just the lampholder and the wire to the ceiling rose. I didn't touch any of the wires except the neutral and earth that came from the old lampholder wire

The brown/blue wire correspond to live (phase) and neutral.
Firstly turn off the power. If you take the new lampholder back down can you check it to see if there is any shorting in it? Can you also pop the switches forwards and look for any obvious signs of electrical shorting to the backboxes (if they are metal). There is not normally any neutrals at the switches when loop in ceiling roses are used, so any faults in these switches are more likely to be to earth through a damaged / loose conductor. Another thing to look out for is the back boxes with four lugs, either remove or puch back the spare top and bottom ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back