landlord / waterboard / me

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
[

b] :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Dear friends ,
this site is going to be a real lifeline for a lot of budding diyers.
WErent aproperty that according to a plumber has no way of turning off the cold water ?? , he suggested a mains key £15 .00, we got one and the little square peg outside our house is just turning round & round by hand ????? any ideas whose responsibility this is? .
also i know this will promote shudders through the more clued up but is it really such a bad thing to join a plastic waste pipe toanother pipe with tape , good gaffer ?? please advise
thanks
steve new brighton[/b]

Sponsored Links
hammerhead said:
WErent aproperty that according to a plumber has no way of turning off the cold water ?? , he suggested a mains key £15 .00, we got one and the little square peg outside our house is just turning round & round by hand ????? any ideas whose responsibility this is?
Sounds like the tap spindle broken,the water company is responsible for the water main in the road. It is also normally responsible for the section of supply pipe that runs from the water main to the boundary of your property. This may be to a stop tap under the road or pavement.
In most cases the property owner is responsible for the service pipe that runs from the company stop tap on the main or supply pipe to the property. If you own the property it is your responsibility to keep this pipe in good order in the same way in which you are responsible for plumbing in the house.
Most modern houses have their own service pipe. In many older houses however, the service pipe is shared with one or more other houses. The occupiers have joint responsibility for this pipe.
is it really such a bad thing to join a plastic waste pipe toanother pipe with tape
Depend what tape you're talking about and how it's join together,I know they do a temporary tape but it is bad practise to do it this way.

A few more details would help with this one.

"The Little square peg just outside your house" is this in your garden or is it outside your garden in the pavement, grass verge, etc,

What type of house is it and approx age?

Are you on a shared water supply?

The answers to the above will help decide whos tap it is.

I am supprised you can turn it by hand even if it is broken, but it could be a 1/4 turn stopcock in which case it will keep turning.

Can you see the top of the little square peg? Has it got a small line / grove on the top of the square joining 2 of the sides together.

If so turn it so the line is at right angles to the pipe and the water should be off.

If you cannot see a line try it any way Turn on the kitchen tap turn the stopcock by a small amount, has the flow from the tap altered? Keep doing this moving the stopcock a small amount at a time. Hopefully before you have done half a turn the water will be off. (there will be two off positions in a complete turn of the stopcock.

If the above does not work I would agree with Masona that the stopcock is broken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back