Landrover,chassis and engine cleaning

• Thread starter Ianthedecorator
  • Start date
I

Ianthedecorator

Planning this saturday to clean the chassis ,engine etc on my new landrover as theres quite a bit of muck ,oil etc but no obvious oil leaks . I have bought 5 litres of good qaulity degeasant ,my plan is to lift the l,rover up onto heavy duty axle stands i have ,spray degreasant on using spray gun on air compresser ,leave a while and then use pressure washer ,a dirty messy job i know but dont want to service engine while in this state ,so if anybody has done this before any advice ,tips etc would be welcome and please serious replies only ,thanks

Sponsored Links
Don't do this over tarmac....!
Its about all you can do, apart from hiring a hot pressure washer (which makes all the difference).
Use a quality degreasant such as Jizer or Gunk, leave it a while then blast it off. Keep the lance away from the alternator and timing belt area though.
Oil tends to gather on the top of the diffs on these.
John :)

Ok on that john ,we are on concrete hardstanding area with a drain away etc on to waste ground .Just got my wellies and wet gear together too ,Ian

Well folks my landrover now has a spotless engine and chassis ,5 litres of engine degreasant does wonders ! can now see where everything is ,so i think the next phase is to do all the oils ,filters etc .Will start with engine oil and filter ,then the two axles and auto box ,top up washer container and drain radiator and refill with fresh anti freeze and water ,not sure yet about diesel filter need to study that a bit more ? if i do this all myself by buying oils ,filters at a proper motor factors ,anyone know the estimated cost of stuff compared to a garage supplying and labour costs ,will be interested to know ? also any suggestions as to anything else that may need changing ? Luckily all the brake pads and all the wheel discs are in almost new condition ,must of been done recentley by last owner so thats a bonus .Once this stage is complete any sugestions what to use on the floor pan as a protective coating ,also the heavy steel ,axle etc and whats the best stuff to use on engine bay ,someone said wd40 but not so sure ? Ian

Sponsored Links
you will make a good saving from sourcing bits yourself, try somewhere like rimmer brothers online for some prices.
what sort of protection underneath are you planning on doing, will it be used off road?

How about waxoyling the chassis now that it is clean?

Ive just had a galvanised chassis and bulkhead fited to my Defender, so Im hoping it will outlive me.

Paddocks in Matlock Derbyshire are decent suppliers of Landrover parts. Ive also used Rimmer Bros and received good service.

Sponsored Links
Back