Lanscape sleepers going green

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all.

I bulit a retainer wall a few years ago using landscape (new) sleepers. I'm about to oil them as they're looking a bit tired but in one side of the garden they are a bit green; I'm assuming algae of some sort. Does this need to be taken off before I oil them, and if so how?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
yes it needs to be removed
patio & path cleaner is good for removing then wash off with warm water

the reason for the green is that it will be most likely north facing or sheltered from the sun so stays damp all the time

Yes, it's the shade that does it.

Just out of interest, what is patio cleaner made of? Is something like soap and water similar or do I need this type of cleaning solution?

Cheers

just use some warm soapy water and a scrubbing brush on them to get the worst off

Sponsored Links
pass!! no idea what its made of i'm not sad enough to actually read the ingredients :LOL: :LOL:
just know it works!

Okey Cokey

Would a pressure washer do the job or would that wreck the timbers?

Also, I want to stain as well as oil them. I'm presuming it's stain first and then the oil?

pressure washer will do it, can make a bit of a mess and leave odd patterns unless its done really evenly.

if your using a stain, it will probably block the oil, as ,most are a waterproofing type stain. if you oil it first the stain wont adhere either.

Thanks Thermo, again. So should I not use stain AND oil? Or use stain first and oil if I do use both?

Cheers

(Opens window) Hi all, I have just jet washed my sleepers, most came up champion but others had the tell tale jet wash marks as these ones are under the trees....
I also jet washed my wooden furniture which has again left the tell tale marks, Can this patio cleaner be used on wooden furniture at all as I donr want to have ther laborious job of sanding and if so, what is the best oil to use ?

at the risk of repeating myself warm soapy water and a scrubbing brush. cheap, easy and works.

Thanks Thermo, again. So should I not use stain AND oil? Or use stain first and oil if I do use both?

Cheers

check the stain, but most external stains are waterproof and so will not let the oil penetrate, and vice versa with the oil. Personally i would only ever use oil and you can get tinted ones.

Thermo, what oil would you say was the best on the market for durability colour fastness and general dog ******sness

we tend to use ronseal or cuprinol, they both seem pretty good, or liberon is very good, but expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back