large bore barrell pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, could anybody please advise me on the jointing of larger bore barrell pipes (1 1/2" and upwards) I usually work with copper and small bore barrell and just need to know if the jointing method is the same for larger bore barrell pipes.

ie; threading the pipe, wrapping in hemp and jointing compound and turning on the fitting.

Any advice or comments would be much appreciated

Thank you

Sponsored Links
might be a scottish/english thing but what is barrell pipe. is it M.I (malleable iron), if so pipe vice, set of stocks n dies, tin of ronol, cut, screw, boss white ( gasseal if gas pipe) hemp, fittings on, tighten with a pair of stilsons, bobs your aunties fanny.

Hemp? I thought we had moved on to teflon tape, unless it is a longscrew

It would be nice to know what's going in the pipes, as the jointing will be different.

Loctite 55 string is universal.

Gas over a certain size has to be welded and flanged.

For Heating, boss white and hemp is still the best.

Sponsored Links
Hemp? I thought we had moved on to teflon tape, unless it is a longscrew

I think you are talking about one wrap gas tape, only use one wrap no jointing ( if pipe carrying gas ), Rocol Gaseal only,no one wrap PTFE (if pipe carrying gas), if pipe carrying lphw cannot beat boss white and hemp,been using it for 25 years without a problem. A longscrew!!! its the 21st century brother. Larger pipe carrying gas may well have to be welded & strength tested,purged,tightness tested.

Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated.

By the way, they are heating pipes in a school

Loctite 55 for me all ady long.

Which is kinda of a shame cos i love the smell of boss white.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back