Large White Pipe going upstairs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are having a new bathroom at weekend and we have started taking parts out of the bathroom like getting the bath ready for moving tomorrow and things ready so the water can just go off when needed.

I have however found a few things which I don't understand and I am wondering if someone could give me a little bit of clarification.

The first is that the two pipes coming from the bath to the waste join together which is fine however then the waste pipe seems to be above these so the water has to fill the bottom pipe and then tip over the edge to leave the building. To me this seems very strange and odd. I have uploaded a few photos of this to help with the description.

The other (which I couldn't get a picture of) is a large plastic pipe which sits in the corner and goes from under the floor somewhere and up through the ceiling. Now if this is the waste pipe for upstairs then it has to go the entire length of the house to get to the shower and sink upstairs in the en suite.

Does this sound likely? or would this pipe be something else? If it is would it be easy enough to move would you think?

Thanks

James

Sponsored Links
The up and over of the waste is to create a water trap.

A basin or bath needs this to prevent bad smells from the drain entering the room.

You casually talk about "having a new bathroom" ! Who will be installing that?

Tony

it will be a professional plumber doing the work I was just wondering if its correct as I didn't fancy the cost of the job going up once he sees it...

Do you have any idea what the large white pipe would be in the corner of the room?

Thanks

James

It could be a vent pipe - letting air in when you flush or empty the bath so the water doesn't get sucked out of the traps. It would either go right up to the roof, or have a one way valve on the top to let air in but not let smells out. A photo would confirm.

Sponsored Links
That's good!

Any professional plumber should be able to manage any bathroom replacement.

Furthermore I don't think that he should ask for further payments over the agreed price.

When quoting you do so assuming anything can be required when you actually do the job.

Tony

That's great thanks for that so it should be fairly easy to move as its a fair sized pipe. From the angle I can see it looks around 70mm but without properly measuring it I wouldn't be able to say for certain. So would that still be a vent pipe? As it seems a little excessive but I am not a plumber...

Well I would hope not but I know of some people where it has happened and I just don't fancy him wondering out and me without a bathroom!

I am sure it will be fine though I am just being curious and trying to learn a few things as I am curious guy :)

James

Apparently its a soil pipe and its going nowhere... So looks like it will just be built around!

Thanks for the replies though much appreciated.

James

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back