Lateral restraint straps across diagonal bracing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small pitched roof and will be putting lateral restrain straps at the gable. The diagonal bracing gets in the way though. Can I do 22mm boards each side of the diagonal bracing and then go across all of it with the strap or should the strap be on a single piece of timber? If that's not possible, then I guess I could do another 22mm board across all of them?

I was also wondering whether I need straps where the extension (single storey) meets the existing house (two storey)? i.e. the house is opposite the gable wall, so there is only a gable at one end. The house prevents wind coming from that direction, so maybe it's not an issue?

Sponsored Links
As long as you’ve got decent length screws/nails into several trusses you should be ok just packing it out as needed
At the house end no straps, but can pop some screws through the first truss into the wall with some dpc in between

A strap has to be fitted on top of a minimum 4x1 timber which is in turn double nailed to each truss. You can pack this out as need be.

This timber should be tight up to the internal face of the gable wall or walls. You don't need straps at the existing house end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back