Latest Price Rises and Other Shopping Shenanigans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two weeks ago I bought Aldi's mid range extra mature cheddar. 4.43 per kilo.

This week, it's 6.38 per kilo.

Oddly, the cheap cheddar is now 4.43 per kilo.

Then there's veg that were one large and plump and are now scrawny. But the price is either the same or more.

Steaks I bought for the boys are very thin and small, but the price is the same.

We're being screwed left, right and centre.

Sponsored Links
It is getting pretty obvious that's if they have it on the shelves. Toilet roll is now smaller rolls. Baby wipes have less in a pack, I know cos I had an old pack left in my decorating kit, and they are a few pence more.

So less product, more cost, it's a double whammy

Sponsored Links
I ordered a washing machine and Fridge a few weeks back from Currys, they had a discount for spend over X. Got a note saying washing machine was now out of stock and inviting me to cancel. I cancelled, they then took half my discount back and re-listed the washing machine for £100 more, now miraculously in stock.

Thats one lost customer for currys

Consumers will squeeze retailers and the inflation will slow.

I ordered a washing machine and Fridge a few weeks back from Currys, they had a discount for spend over X. Got a note saying washing machine was now out of stock and inviting me to cancel. I cancelled, they then took half my discount back and re-listed the washing machine for £100 more, now miraculously in stock.

Thats one lost customer for currys

Consumers will squeeze retailers and the inflation will slow.
That's disgusting, I've avoided them for years tbh. Better deals online

Some items at Sainsburys go up and down like a whore's drawers. One that I noticed at the start of the pandemic when I started doing the shopping was their wheat biscuits which were £1.80 for a box of 24, exactly a quid less than Weetabix at £2.80 and they had been that price for ages. They did go up to £1.95 for about 6 months. Now Weetabix are £3.50 a box and Sainsburys ones are £1.75 - they did go down to £1.60 a box for the last few boxes but still cheaper now than they were at the beginning of the pandemic.

That's an optimistic opinion.
Growth is around 1-2%, inflation is 8-10% depending on the index. That means a reduction in volume. Or it could just be the normal retailer game of increasing pricing before Black Friday discounts. People will defer and delay and this will have a big impact now that the post-covid demand spike is basically over. But there is no point in arguing over opinion.

Why do you think that 1-2% growth means a reduction in volume?

asda fizzy pop 2l used to be 44p with 5 for £2 now 80p there own coffee around £2 for 200g then over a few week up to around £3 and miraculously price drop and lock at £2 50
ironically 2l cider for years was £2 02 now just £2:)

Growth is around 1-2%, inflation is 8-10% depending on the index. That means a reduction in volume. Or it could just be the normal retailer game of increasing pricing before Black Friday discounts. People will defer and delay and this will have a big impact now that the post-covid demand spike is basically over. But there is no point in arguing over opinion.
Life for a retailer gets more complicated in times like these. They need to restock and that price may well have increased worse still that applies all of the way down the supply chain down to raw materials used. Even crops need fertiliser, cut those = less crops. Feed your cows, cut the amount and the milk yield is down or growth isn't what it was if for meat.

All steps in the supply chain have various business overheads that have to be paid. They can't cut prices on the basis of reducing those but maybe can loose some people. So we get variations on shrinkflation / shoddier goods. ;) We've been having shrinkflation for donkey's years on some items. The other aspect is pretty obvious - increased costs. Manufacture for instance - increased costs of materials.

So items don't sell. The overheads remain the same so prices go up in order to remain in business. That happens all through the suply chain which can exist in a number of countries in the world. That gets them dragged into the same situation. This relates to OPEC cutting oil production to increase prices as currently they are producing some surplus so prices have fallen - they say they don't want to be dragged in along with the west. That could turn out to be positive reinforcement resulting in even more cuts.

Why do you think that 1-2% growth means a reduction in volume?
If unit prices are going up by a greater rate, its either volume dropping or avg spend dropping. Eitherway, that is downward pressure

Sponsored Links
Back