Laundry room project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am organizing my laundry - more shelves, drawers and such. There is one thing I want to do, but the details are alluding me and it is probably more easy than I am making it out to be. What I want to do is install a rod to hang the close on that come out of the dryer. The dig is this, I want it to be retractable.

I have thought about drawer slide guides mounted in a way under a shelf, then with the rod attached to a wooden slide, it can be pushed back under the shelf. No slide guide I found (at least online) are not wide enough - my rod is about an 1.75 inches, so the slide I'd like to be the same width.

The other thought is that the rod, when not used, lies flat against the wall. When it is needed, it could be folded out to be horizontal. I have no clue on hardware for this one, as it would have to lock when horizontal.

Sponsored Links
Hey and welcome to the forum!

When you say you want to hand your clothes from the dryer on the rod, do you mean by putting them on hangars first? If so, have you thought of a retractable clothes line? Works on the same principal as a retractable tape mesure. It can be fixed to a wall, reeled out when needed and hooked on a hook on the opposite wall. Hang your clothes on it and just unhook it from the hook when it's not needed to reel it back in.

Or have I got the whole thing confused?

I appreciate the suggestion, but it wouldn't work the the space available, plus I don't think it would be taunt enough.

Thanx, it's off to Lowes today to fall upon something that'll work. Hopefully, I can find a six inch slide. I saw that at least one mfg has it offered as a new product.

Think laterally, or rather vertically - if you have enough height the Victorians hade these rather nifty clothes driers/airers hung on pulleys from the ceiling:

A416Delux_Airer.jpg

I can well recall getting drips down the back of my neck off those things

Scrit

Sponsored Links
Scrit said:
I can well recall getting drips down the back of my neck off those things

Scrit

We had one of those when I was a nipper. Many disturbing memories of being garrotted by mother's enormous brassier straps as they hung from it! :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back