Lawnmower won't go in gear

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all , thanks for reading, any advice will be gratefully received....

I have a Countax c600h ride on mower which wouldn't start (wasn't even turning over). I jumped the starter solenoid to see if it was the starter motor which wasn't working and it started fine but then wouldn't go in gear - is there a safety switch in the gearing (other than the one which requires the clutch dipping on start-up) which is preventing it from starting? Any ideas how to fix.

Thanks

Adam

Sponsored Links
Question 1: Is there a safety switch in the gearing (other than the one which requires the clutch dipping on start-up) which is preventing it from starting?

Question 2: Does anyone have any ideas how to fix the problem?

The Countax has numerous interlock switches - in the seat (so you have to be sitting on the machine), the machine cutter musn't be engaged and the footbrake needs to be on on some models....there could be more - I can't recall.
If the interlocks aren't working, the motor cuts as soon as you put it into drive.
The good news is that disconnecting these switches isolates them.
John :)

Sponsored Links
For anyone interested, the mower is now in full working order.......

As was picked up in the discussion I had more than one fault. The first was indeed the starter solenoid and replacing that saw the machine start up fine.

The second was simply the central blade having well and truely seized up which in turn was affecting the transmission. Turns out the blade was about as sharp as a spoon too so after replacing that, it's all systems go.

Thanks for everyone's contributions.

Adam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back