Layers of paint peeling off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am decorating my stairs, every wall apart from one is new plaster and hasn't been a problem to emulsion White. The problem is with the already painted (Green Emulsion) wall.

I always knew it would take a few more coats to cover the Green but in between coats I noticed it had started to bubble in places. The bubbles became bigger so I cut around them and peeled off the paint which took me down to the bare plaster.

I smoothed the edges down and gave it a quick coat of White but there is a very noticeable difference. What is the best method to build up the paint to the original level?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Well 30 views and no replies.....

Do I smell?

I think I will just get a picture and hang it over the area. Thats the best I can come up with.

The bubbling /blowing happens once in a while, might have been a bit of filler not adhered to plaster with previous painting. Usually I leave the bubbles alone to see how it dries, 99% of time it will just dry back. Like bubbles in wallpaper. If it's left a scar you could try face filling with interior polyfilla to hide the line of the scar. Then prime with dilute emulsion, then coat up as normal.

Good luck..

Nah u dont smell lol...>>post holiday blues :cry:

Hello there Con, No you dont smell lol,and usually there would be loads of the regulars giving you advice,perhaps like me they didnt notice your post as its not like them not to jump in and help.
theres loads on here that give good advice, like Zampa, third eye, Gcol, and too many too mention, but they know what they are talking about (sometimes)....... :p

To get to your problem.......

You did right to get rid of the bubbles, and now you are left with bare plaster which now is notacable.

Here is what I would do, and I have done this lots of times, and I am sure some of the regulars will agree with me, and if not, they will offer a suitable solution.

So now you are left with a sort of indent in your wall, and no amount of painting will make it blend in with the other walls.

Where you got rid of the bubbles and now left with the bare plaster from these areas, what you do is to get some podwer filler, not the ready made one ( fercking nightmare), knock up some filler and apply over the bare plaster bits quite lightly.
When dry, gently sand down, and run your hand over it, if it still feels slightly indented, then fill again.

Its best to do a bit a little and often, rather than whack on a load of filler.

After you have rubbed your hand against it and it feels flush with the wall, get some of your wall paint colour, slightly dilute it, and Brush this on the areas you have filled.
Do your first dab, leave it, go off and do something else, when dry, dab again, infact I would do it 3 times before I actually roll.
Reason I am saying this is cause I have done this in the past, and the filler still lightly showed thru, so I knew then to give it an extra brush over.
I found in certain angles and light that by doing this 3 times was enough to stop the filler bleeding thru, but that could be cause I am a female, and you know how picky some females are. ;)
When you have spotted the filler (dabbed the paint on the filler with a brush) then you roll as normal.

If you do what I suggest then you will have sorted out the problem. :D

Sponsored Links
Thats very good advice..

And from a woman too.. :p back!

:LOL: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back