Laying a chipboard floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I'm looking to remove a bath from my downstairs loo (flat is dated 1890), remove the non-loadbearing partition wall that surrounds it and replace the partition wall where it should have initially been when the flat was built - gaining back the space in the kitchen which is located beside the downstairs loo. I then have to remove the old cr*ppy wooden floorboards and replace with 8x2 T&G floorboard (eventually cover with click laminate flooring). I have already built the kitchen cabinets (11 cabinets + 2 appliance doors) and only need them installed along with worktop (700mm worktop depths; therefore I have purchased 2x900mm 3.6M gloss laminate worktops). Need an addition gas hose for built in double oven and separate hob with ducting needed for the extractor chimney. Washing machine and dishwasher are staying almost where they are already and finally connecting a side-by-side fridge/freezer thingy to the mains water. I have been quoted £2k+ and think this sounds like someone is having a laugh at my expense ... what should I expect to pay for this?

Sponsored Links
The way I read it is that you are doing the first part of the work yourself, is that right?

Yeah, we've just removed the gyproc and tiles that were on both sides of the partition wall and all we have at the moment is the wooden frame (L shape). Today we have a plumber in to remove the bath, sink and toilet (the bath is being permenantly removed) and after that my husband is having a go at shifting the wooden frame to the correct position - I hope!

Now we have to remove the wooden floorboards in the kitchen and either attempt to put in 8x2' chipboards or have someone come in and do that for us. Also need to lower the ceiling but am pretty certain that this is way beyond our capabilities. I'm just not sure whether laying a chipboard flooring is beyond us too?

Thanks for replying.

Sponsored Links
£2880 was for ...

Build new partition wall as per approved plans (9' x 12' - standard stud partition with fibreglass insulation); located between kitchen and bathroom.

Remove old wooden floorboards and install 8x2' chipboard (approx 4 x 4metres) in kitchen.

Install kitchen cabinets, worktop and usual appliances (we will build the cabinets prior to the installation).

Reduce ceiling height in kitchen (4x4metres) and bathroom (4x1).

Resheet walls in kitchen (2 walls, approx 9'height and 12' length) and bathroom (1 wall, 9' height and 12' length) with 12.5 gyproc

No electrics or plumbing was included in the above price.

Yes I think your quoted price is too high, I have not seen your place so it is difficult to say by how much.
Your best bet is to get a couple more quotes, if they are all about the same, at least your know you have not paid over the odds.

Hi

Many, many thanks for your responses. I spoke to my architect (drawings etc. were needed for the building warrant) and he said that it seemed quite excessive and I'd guess he'd know best.

Anyway, I have a plumber coming back and forth to complete jobs in the kitchen and bathroom and that's costing £310 which I'm delighted about. I have a joiner coming today to price installing the new partition as my husband managed to remove it from the original location.

Once again, thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back