Need to lift my kitchen floor...

Woodys made a very good point, so it'll be sensible to check I there's any damp in the concrete floor. But I think you need to post some pictures of the kitchen so we can check for any oddities.

Sorry, but we can't give you any costings without being on site, so you'll just need too get a variety of builder or kitchen fitters in to give you a comparison. Then we can comment on them.

Whether you use a concrete screed, or SLC, the plastic legs can be happily left in place. Whichever leveller you use will only come up to the top of the round base, and you can easily cut these off if you ever have to.

If you use SLC, then you can do the job in two hits. Put down the first layer to about 10mm, then drill and rawlpug the floor, and set in screws around the room to show the height of the hallway floor. SLC never actually settles in it's own, and you need to move it round with a trowel, and a series of screws in say a 1m or 600mm square pattern, will give you the level to aim for.

Sponsored Links
Ok so had a builder around and he said...

1) you could use self leveller in 2 batches but its probably going to be very expensive to get it up to the height needed due to size of the room.

2) I could use mositure resistant chipboard as the concrete down now has a membrane in it. This stuff: https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/Cab...0mm/p/611016?gclid=COGl1cjl8tMCFYi97QodzcILEA

The option 2, is much cheaper than 1. Would this be ok? Screw down in some places he said if needed to stop as much bounce in the floor.

Said the hallway is wooden floor boards so you have bounce in the floor anyway.

Thoughts?

Is the floor level in the first place, and if they screw down the chipboard, are you going to get the height you want. The bounce shouldn't be too much of an issue, but if it's not level enough to start with, then this could lead to an unsatisfactory finish. But to try and use the hallway bounce as a justification, almost sounds like an excuse for a fudge.

I have heard about adding sand to the SLC to bulk it out, so they could possibly do that to the first level, and that would make the job cheaper.

Have you had any other quotes.

They said put 1 layer of SLC down really thin to make it level (say 3mm-5mm SLC). Then to build up the extra gap with the 18mm or 25mm boards.

No other quotes but others I have spoken to have said the same.

He said if I was ripping my kitchen out, then definitely level and bring to height a better way, but for the time being, on the basis I will probably renew the kitchen in 5 years, doing it this way will be easier, cheaper now and easier to remove in 5 years if needed.

When he mentioned being bounce, it was me who said just like the hallway with the floor boards under the laminate.

Sponsored Links
Although you're not upgrading the kitchen for now, I'd still say it'll be better to remove it now, level the floor properly, and then reinstate it. If you don't, then you'll have other problems when you do finally do the kitchen upgrade.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back