Laying a patio on soft soil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 40m2 area at the end of my garden which had an old rotten summerhouse and decking, a filled in pond full of rocks and roots. I've been clearing it all out and churning up all the soil as I go.
I plan on putting in a 6mx3m patio, but I am concerned whether the soil, now that I have churned it all up, will be too soft to put the hard core on top? I read somewhere if you stand on it an your heal digs in then it is too soft and you should dig lower until you get to harder ground - which wouldn't be practical.
Do I need to run over the soil with a whacking plate? in some areas the loose soil will be quite deep, where I have excavated the old pond etc.
or, am I worrying about nothing. If I put type 1 down then run over with a whacking plate will that compress the it enough?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back