Laying a travertine or marble floor - precautions/tips?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will be laying a marble or travertine (haven;t decided out of two yet!!) floor soon. I have laid a slate floor and had to go through all of the sealing process, etc.

I have read bit & bobs about laying marble/travertine but not managed to get loads of info.

Do they need sealing before laying? Do I need to use a white adhesive to stop them getting stained?

The floor I'm going over is half T&G water proof chipboard and half concrete (level to one another). Should I just use a flexible adhesive right the way through, or should I try to use flexible on chipboard and thinset on the concrete?

Also do travertines and marble cut cleanly? Should I use a diamond cutter?

Sponsored Links
Hallsy
you need a very ..very strong substrate .....

"half T&G water proof chipboard and half concrete " OH Dear ..lol

I would lay a 12mm ply floor in sections spot on level , then tile over
use BAL products ...;)
I cannot give advice here on tiles , you have brought as its how they were sold an the laying instructions ,

Tiles arent all the same , when you get them

on the box it will say how this tile needs to be laid , if not the reseller/shop will tell you :)

Hmm, well I've done them now.

I laid marble tiles, 30.5x30.5x1. I had toyed with the idea of screwing down ply as well, but part of the hallway is flat roof section and lower, so I didn;t want to raise the floor level more than I had to. The T&G chipboard was well supported. Total floor are about 5m2, .9mx4.5m half concrete, half chipboard roughly.

I used Bal single part flexible adhesive in white, as advised by the retailer.

Hopefully they'll last then, would be a bugger if they all crack the first time I step on them!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back