Laying blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Soon i want to build a block built shed at the end of my garden. It will be roughly 8m x 4m x 2.5m (lxwxh). Using a calculator this means i need something like 600 blocks.

What sort of block per day can a brickie do?

im trying to calculate all my costs for it

Thanks

Sponsored Links
£1 a block would be cheap for a one off job as i suspect they will not be light weight :LOL:

Sponsored Links
b21playa said:
noseall said:
a 2&1 gang could see off 500 blocks in a day at a £1.00 per block.

Ok, so most can be done in a day.

Expensive at £1 a block

ever tried laying them?

you will be limited with the height in blockwork they can do in any one day which will affect the price

£1 a block is very reasonable

especially if they have to be carried to the bottom of the garden

NS215 said:
£1 a block is very reasonable

especially if they have to be carried to the bottom of the garden

I suppose taking that into consideration its ok.

what would be best for foundation, a 15cm x 50cm trench to start blockwork or to lay the full area of concrete and start on top of that?

Laying blocks is the best diy job avialable so save yourself 600 quid and do it yourself.

You will of course learn mixing in the process.

You will need a trowel

Shovel

Barrow

Yawn

I hate laying blocks...

ps. lol@ nosealls labrador who only gets £100 A DAY

pound each?

no way.

ModernMaterials said:
Laying blocks is the best diy job avialable so save yourself 600 quid and do it yourself.

You will of course learn mixing in the process.

You will need a trowel

Shovel

Barrow

Yawn

I hate laying blocks...

ps. lol@ nosealls labrador who only gets £100 A DAY

pound each?

no way.

Ive layed bricks before, recently shortenedd a window by adding another colums of bricks cut into the original ones.

any pointers on foundation and how o start?

thanks

you want to lay a concrete strip footing first. ensure that the building line is square. the bricklayers will then come and build to your FFL/DPC (finished floor level/ damp proof course) then you need to put down hardcore for your concrete slab, crusher will do, make sure it is well consolidated with a whacker plate. then a sand blinding, then a water proof membrane then you can lay your concrete slab. therer will need to be 2 of you for this.
once the slab is in the blockwork can go up. be awear that the price mentioned above is minimum for blockwork. factors such as distance materials need to be moved, number of openings/ pillars and whether you have a flat or pitched roof will affect price. be sure to include a few internal pillars along the lentgh for strentgh.
make sure your footing is level or you may have unhappy bricklayers!
peg it out transfering the level with a straight edge or laser level if u have one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back