Laying laminate on top of old ceramic floor tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to lay laminate flooring in the conservatory, but discovered now that under the old carpet that I lifted there are ceramic floor tiles (some are cracked). I always thought that there was just screed.
Now I am unsure about two things, and hope to get your views!
1. What underlay should I use? Something that has good insulating properties would be good, but do I need a DPM as well?
I don't want to lift the tiles, as if anything, I'd rather raise the floor a bit to bring it up to the level in the rest of the house, so I thought perhaps of using Fibre Boards.
2. Can I use self-levelling compound over ceramic tiles? There is an area around a door that dropped a bit.

Sponsored Links
If you want to apply SLC first to level the floor where it's dropped, then you'd need to apply acrylic primer first, and as you're using fibre boards, it's up to you as to whether you do the whole room, or just where necessary. But why has it dropped, and does that need investigating first.

Thanks a lot for that.
I suppose I should not have written 'dropped' - I did not even know there were tiles, so they might just have been laid poorly (many years ago).

Having seen tiles laid on wooden floors, dropped is more than possible.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I have had a poor tiled floor like that in the upstairs bathroom of our previous house, but this one here is a solid floor on the ground, in a conservatory. Given the other quality of finish I discovered there (e.g. plaster, skirting boards, door linings) I wouldn't be suprised if they did not level the tiles in the first place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back