Laying new path

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After some more advice again :)

Looking to lay a path from the pavement up the existing steps plus about 3 more, then straight along up the side of the house to the door.

Laying on the existing concrete will be a dodle. But how do I start on making the steps where I currently have soil?

I am looking to put down 900x600x50 mm slabs.

Any advice and guidance appreciated.
View media item 82681

Sponsored Links
dig out for a 75m sub base of compacted type 1 and then lay your flags on 50mm of mortar. So you want to dig it out to 175mm depth from the finished height you want.

Be aware of house dpc, you want to be at least 150mm below this.

Have a look at paving expert . com for more detailed advice

Thanks for that. I'm guessing I only need the 75mm sub base where I have no existing concrete? And that I can use the sand and cement mix straight onto it? The damp course is the painted 2 rows of brick. Is it 150mm below the top of them?

I am putting a 150mm border of gravel between the path and the house for soakaway

So I have done a bit of digging (a little more is needed)

I will order 2 bags of MOT type 1 and some sand/cement.

I am planning on using 900x600x50mm slabs as I want a 900mm wide path. And I thought this size would be quicker due to needing a smaller number of slabs.

Has anyone laid these and got any tips? Or a good place to buy from? B and Q are ~£150 for 22

View media item 82717
View media item 82716

Sponsored Links
The only thing with the 3x2 slabs is the weight of them, it's about 65kgs each, so a bit of a pig of a job to do on your own.

That sounds a good price though, which is pretty rare for b&q!!

There would be 2 - 3 of us doing the work :) but I am still concerned about it tbh... I will have a think.

Yes I was surprised about the price too

You could always have a 2ft wide path but bring it out from the house wall slightly (to give more room for walking), and fill the gap with gravel. Depends what you like the look of really!

Yes mate. I mentioned in an earlier reply that I have planned in a 150mm gravel border between the house and slabs :)

Ohhhh they look good. Not being in the trade I don't know about these tips :) might try to borrow one!

Slab lifter with 150kg capacity for £40 all day..... Not bad?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back