Laying stone tiles on upstairs timber floor...........

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I understand this rightly, the standard way would be to lay 18mm ply first and then the new tiles with flexible grout. This means there will be quite a big step up into the bathroom, about an inch.

As an alternative could I remove the t&g flooring and replace it with a flatter surface? The ceiling is down underneath so I could also add some extra strengthening joists with no problem.

Many thanks for your suggestions.

JD

Sponsored Links
JDLDIY said:
As an alternative could I remove the t&g flooring and replace it with a flatter surface? The ceiling is down underneath so I could also add some extra strengthening joists with no problem.
That's the best way to go and make sure the plywood is exterior ply (WPB). Use screws approximately every 200mm

Right, so my plan will be to remove all the t&g, lay the 18mm wpb ply down and then screw down to the joists. Then I can add noggins to strengthen between the joists.

Many thanks again Masona

JD

Yes remember where the pipe and cable are before screwing!

Sponsored Links
Yes remember where the pipe and cable are before screwing!
Yeah, seeing as I put them all there I'll have no excuses for going through any of them! It'll be so much easier as the ceiling is down underneath - I'll be able to see exactly what I'm doing.

Just to double check - the 18mm ply will be sufficiently solid and flex free on it's own when used as flooring will it?

Stone is a bit more likely to fracture than ceramic/porcelain I would go upto 25mm ply for peace of mind unless your joists are closer than 350cts.

Jason

Should be okay providing JDLDIY add some extra strengthening joists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back