laying vinyl in a kitchen...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys,

I've got a nice quick question that's driving me nuts...

I want to lay vinyl in my kitchen, should it go all the way to the edge or stop before the legs of the units?

The kitchen's gutted and because of the odd shape of the room i din't believe it'll save us any meterage whatever we decide, i just want to do it properly... (someone mentioned that it's easier to deal with spills if the floor goes to the edge?)

As an aside we've seen a really good deal on some really nice, thick, high quality stuff (4.5mm), is that harder to work with than cheap, thinner stuff?

many thanks, any thoughts / advice will be greatly recieved!

mike.

Sponsored Links
The vinyl only needs to go under the kicker boards, just loose cut the vinyl round the legs. Try to ensure none of the units pinch the vinyl or you could risk the vinyl getting trapped and bubbling.

The thicker the vinyl, generally the better the cushioning, but also there is a higher possibility it will mark from pressure and dropping sharp items on it.

The price of the vinyl will generally reflect how hard wearing it is, not how thick it is.

understood, thanks, that's great.

so no benefit to laying all the way to the wall...

cheers!

The chances of being able to cut the vinyl under the units anywhere near the wall accurately are very slim! If you have a spill, the amount of liquid will make little or no difference, if you have a washing machine flood etc, it won't matter how far the vinyl goes under the kickerboard, it will find a way underneath the vinyl somewhere anyway.

Sponsored Links
good points well made.

shame the shape of the room means we won't save any cash because of that!

thanks for your help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back