Laying Vinyl over quarry tiles/existing vinyl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently re-doing our kitchen. The old units are being replaced, and we want to put new vinyl lino down over the current lino we have.

I'm intending to do the kitchen first, then get the vinyl/lino done afterwards.

My main problem is knowing what to do with the current floor i.e. lay over it or pull it up.

We have quarry tiles underneath our current vinyl lino, which is made up of individual tiles. Tried taking one up but it had to be pulled up in bits and wasn't easy. But it could be done, leaving a quarry tiles floor.

However, one place I have been to said they wouldn't lay vinyl onto quarry tiles as they wouldn't have a damp membrane and may cause problems later. They recommended taking up the whole floor, which realistically aint gonna happen.

Bearing in mind the current lino vinyl floor hasn't caused any damp problems as yet, what should I do?

1. Leave as it is and put vinyl lino over the top of existing lino
2. Rip the whole existing lino up before I put the kitchen units in, put the units directly on the quarry tiles, and then get the lino put in afterwards - I have no idea what the state of the quarry tiles is currently.
3. Put units in over the top of existing lino, but then afterwards cut out the existing vinyl floor that is left exposed and lay lino over just the exposed area.

Hope this makes sense.

THanks

Sponsored Links
If your house is pre 1965 then you probably do not have a damp proof mem below them. The shop was wright in saying you will have problems laying over them. The problem is that over the last first years , health safety wont let manufacturers make glues and flooring like they used to. So where you are o.k with no problems with product fitted at moment, well you wont be with what you replace it with! If you do have dpm in floor you can just uplift old flooring and put down a self leveling compound. Please dont use a latex screed! This is a weak screed used by most cowboys that dont know what there doing. Try to use an acrylic or better still a water based leveling compound. Pref from f-ball. tried, tested and trusted. If using water based your subfloor MUST be solid with no movement and no damp at all. (below 75%rh) Now if you dont have a dpm you need to do extra prep work first. If you find you have no dpm, leave me post and i will tell you what to do. And one last thing. Dont fit flooring over existing flooring . Many reasons for this which i dont need to go into. Its wrong so dont do it ( trying to be nice ) :confused:

Sorry, I should have said its a 1955 house in the midlands. No signs of any damp anywhere, but have no idea about a DPM - from what you have said probably hasn't got one.

Where can I go from here then? Pulling up the quarry tiles and installing a DPC is a no-no. I've a kitchen being delivered and installed in 3 weeks. This must be something that others come up against and I cant believe people pull up whole floors just to fit a new lino?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Nottingham
It actually has some sort of base under the existing lino, but it just pulls up and flakes apart. Perhaps that is what you are referring to?

If that is the case would the method to follow be:
Pull up existing lino and Damp proofing or whatever it is underneath up, revealing the quarry tiles.
Install kitchen onto quarry tiles
Install damp proof layer and new vinyl floor in the exposed floor?

Thanks

i would prefer to do floor prep work before kitchen install. Brings everything to same level and will also protect kitchen units from moister damage. And also if you did change kitchen units in anyway the subfloor wont have to be done twice. Is the stuff under the lino thats coming up grey in colour. With possible white patches? If so i would guess this is some sort of leveling compound. If its not bonded well i should scrap this up to. Also when you call it lino i would guess its vinyl in a domestic home. lino has a woven backing and is brittle when bent and will have no pattern on it, plus glued down. Now a days vinyl is loose layed. So you only have to do floor prep once. Lino is still glued so when changing you need to reprep.

Will have a look. I believe it is grey though.
How long would it take to put the damp proofing down that you mention, and is it expensive?
Do you have any web links that may be of interest?

Thanks again

www.f-ball.co.uk you want two coat epoxy. F75 or F76. not sure without checking. And you only need this if there is a dpm problem. Other wise prime with 131 and use levelling compound. You need to also do this after dpm treatment.

Thanks again for your help. I've a local firm coming out to have a look and will see what they say/quote.

Matty - Just found this post as we're in exactly the same situation. We have old quarry tiles in our kitchen (Victorian mid-terrace) which are not in excellent condition, and so we're contemplating levelling over the top and then either laying vinyl or slate tiles.

As far as I know, the quarry tiles are laid directly on top of the soil. I seem to recall hearing that it's not a good idea to seal the tiles, as they currently 'breathe' and so allow moisture to escape from under the floor, whereas if they're sealed then any moisture would work its way out through the walls instead, and cause damp problems there.

I was interested to know whether this is something to be concerned about - if I put a DPC over the top of the tiles, could this lead to damp problems elsewhere?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back