Laying vinyl sheet over existing ceramic tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 330mm x 330mm ceramic tiles on my bathroom floor. Is it absolutely necessary to have a levelling screed applied before laying sheet vinyl over the floor? Is there another alternative?

Sponsored Links
That's one idea foxhole. Thanks.

I'm exploring vinyl underlay which can be laid under vinyl sheets.

The people before us fitted tiles to the woeful chipboard floor in the kitchen extension, needless to say during our occupation many of the tiles cracked with a fair few coming loose, when we went up for sale we fitted a thick vinyl straight on top to hide our sins, I fully expected the tiles to show through in no time (as did the supplier) but we were selling so avoiding as much outlay as possible, was about a year between when we did the vinyl and moved, no joints were ever visible in that time.

Sponsored Links
Now that is interesting freddiemercurystwin. We could be in the same situation. I must explore whether today's vinyl comes in different thicknesses.

You can install F-Ball Isolator over the tiles and lay sheet vinyl straight over that. It will leave the tiles useable underneath should you ever wish to lift the vinyl.

Thanks crazydaze. Will F Ball Stopgap Isolator Tape 50mm x 50m Roll over the joints do the trick?

Thanks crazydaze. Will F Ball Stopgap Isolator Tape 50mm x 50m Roll over the joints do the trick?

No, that’s used to waterproof the Isolator membrane itself, you need to use the isolator to cover the tiles and joints.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back