LCD TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a wall mounted lcd tv in my conservatory and I'm wishing to hook this up to a dvd player. The problem is the tv power flex is hidden in a cavity stud/plaster wall along with the coax feed. The actual lead (kettle style) which plugs into the tv is wired up to a duraplug style 3 pin in line male plug which in turn plugs into the female duraplug, the flex of which is in the cavity as mentioned and comes out just above the skirting getting its power from a four way extnension which feeds my pc desk. Is there a way of getting a signal from a dvd player without having an ugly scart lead trailing across the wall. I was thinking of one of those sender units, but the problen here I think will be getting power to this on the back of the tv. I suppose I could discard the duraplug for a two way trailing socket, however there ain't a lot of room behind the set and bracket.
Any ideas anyone?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Does the DVD player have a co-ax out?

Of course, you're now realising that you SHOULD have run in some lengths of conduit for all this stuff.

What you could do is take the tv off the wall, enlarge the hole behind it, drop down one end of a long scart lead, and make a similar sized hole at the bottom, above or behind the skirting and fish the scart out. For smaller holes use triple phonos instead.

What sort of cavity is it? Is it a stud wall or dot n dab? If its the latter, you will struggle with my above idea. The former will be very easy to do.

Mini trunking is a doddle to install ;)

Thanks Crafty, yes you're SO right about the conduit thing. The idea re. drawing in either scart or phono has crossed my mind, but there is two areas where the supporting timbers are, which had been exposed via holesawing the plaster out to draw in the two cables (power and coax) previously and now neatly plastered and painted over. So the idea of doing this again!! mmm benefit of hindsight.

Thanks all the same.

Crafty,

Forgot to mention, there is no coax out on the dvd. This would have been a good idea as I could draw the cut/draw the coax in the corner of the room where it enters from outside and splice into the dvd.

Ahhh well.

Sponsored Links
DARTHVADER said:
Crafty,

Forgot to mention, there is no coax out on the dvd. This would have been a good idea as I could draw the cut/draw the coax in the corner of the room where it enters from outside and splice into the dvd.

Ahhh well.

You could use a demodulator to change the signal from scart to coax. Maplins sell a small one, I use one to send my CCTV pictures to all the TV's in the house. Although you might have degradation of picture quality a little using coax instead of scart.

pbar said:
You could use a demodulator to change the signal from scart to coax. Maplins sell a small one, I use one to send my CCTV pictures to all the TV's in the house. Although you might have degradation of picture quality a little using coax instead of scart.

This is probably the best solution, although the OP might have more luck searching for an 'RF modulator', this being the correct term for such a device.

electronicsuk said:
pbar said:

This is probably the best solution, although the OP might have more luck searching for an 'RF modulator', this being the correct term for such a device.

And of course a standard video recorder could be used as these have a modulator built in. It's a trick people can do if they run short of scart sockets on the TV. Simply connect the DVD to the scart of the video recorder which will then do the rest, convert the signal and output it through the coax. You could also do this as a test to see the quality of picture you would get before you bought the RF modulator (thanks for the correction)

I also have a maplins cheapo RF modulator for my CCTV, and the picture quality is pretty good (but probably not DVD on a scart good). It helps if you use decent quality co-ax such as satellite cable to send the RF signal down.

Thanks to all who replied, I'll get my head round a modulator I think, as the coax is fairly easily retrivable to splice into without having to take chunks out the wall again.

Sorry,

Forgive my ignorance, as this is probably a stupid question!!

Will the modulator still allow the incoming tv signal to also reach the tv if its split to this device?

The one I have has a socket for the scart, a socket for the ariel in, and one for ariel out to the TV.

Both the normal TV signal and the modulated DVD signal will be sent on one coax cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back