ldv convoy king pin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an ldv convoy minibus and according to a mechanic who examined it there's slight play in the king pins.He greased them or something and said that in time they will need to be replaced.Is this correct or should I get a second opinion also is it a costly job to have done?

Sponsored Links
Not familiar with the LDV,but used to maintain tractors,normally having kingpin/stub axle arrangement -your mechanic sounds perfectly correct.
Like all moving parts,they will wear eventually,and greasing was part of routine service.
The grease will help lubricate (to reduce friction) and fill up the void in worn areas (to reduce play)

Not a really big job to change,but may involve disconnection of track rod ends - if so,ensure you get tracking checked afterwards.

I agree with powertool that they may not be a big job on a tractor or commercial vehicle as they are usually more easily accessable and are also big enough to use a decent hammer and drift or burning gear if need be!

I am also not that conversant with these vans but do know it is common practice and often cheaper to have someone replace the axle assembly on an exchange basis. People often advertise this service in the likes of Autotrader.

The reasons are, that unlike the bigger vehicles mentioned, which more often use needle rollers, smaller vans use bronze bushes which need to be reamed to size and also need more critical shimming for the correct lift. It is also a lot harder to work when you are grovelling under a wheelarch than an open area like the above vehicles. It is not unusual for the kingpins to seize in the axle beam, which would require a hefty press or burning gear for heat, plus you can't get a proper swing as it is more awkward on a smaller vehicle.

Your mechamic sounds genuine enough so either ask his opinion on the viability of exchange or see if you can find a local company in Autotrader and ask for an exchange price yourself.

I am fully conversant with this work, have all the tools, but still paid someone to do this once on a Transit because it was cheaper and quicker.

Sponsored Links
manners said:
Thanks for your advice it was very useful.

Who remembers seeing Morris Minors, Triumph Heralds et al, regularly down on their knees at side of road with broken KP's?

Lack of servicing every time. I know. I've recovered and repaired them.

Back