LDV Pilot wherring sound

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My LDV pilot van has developed a strange whirring sound when driven about 15-20 mph. it seems to stop and then start again when accelerating and decelerating. any ideas. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
My first guess would be the power steering or alternator belt. If so, there will be a screech as and when the belt slips. The screech is quite distinctive and it will come and go at different speeds. If it's the power steering belt, the steering may become heavy. If it's the alternator belt, the red battery light may come on intermitantly on the display. Neither are too serious and if you are going to fix it yourself, you should check that both belts are tight, buy a spare (£3 - £10?) and fit it in the next couple of months. If you are using a garage, it will be a 30 minute job if my guess is right. If you do nothing, the noise will get worse and the belt may fail at some point (this would leave you with heavy steering and/or no charge going in to the battery).

Some vehicles have separate rubber belts for the alternator and steering. Some have one belt.

Hi maxsteam. thanks for your reply, I'm not sure if it's a belt, I've heard alternator belts and it's a loud screech, this is more like the sound of an electric milk float. it's related to the speed of the van as opposed to the engine revs. I suppose I should take it to a garage, I 'll have to get over my garagephobia.

Sponsored Links
Back